Search the forum,

Discuss Solid Fuel Central Heating boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jayjayjay

back boiler.jpgCentral Heating.jpgHi guys, first post on these forums. I have a multifuel stove which can be converted into a boiler via a bolt-in 3-4kw 1 input/1 output boiler (picture attached), this is available on Ebay. I am undecided which is the best way to plumb it in. I know 3kw is relatively small, but I was planning in plumbing it initially to heat water through an indirect tank, which may also double as a heatsink (which is behind a wall behind and just above the stove). Any excess hot water to pump via a thermostat to one or two upstairs radiators, I have done a basic diagram. Would this configuration work safely? If not can anybody suggest a better way or of any tweaks that may improve the circuit? The manufacturers of the clip in boiler strongly recommend that radiators be pumped rather than gravity fed, although it would be ok for the hot water tank to be gravity fed. There may be excess hot water as we mainly use the shower in our household rather than baths.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
not something to be messed with ..are u a plumber ....back boilers are dangerous..dont mean to be preaching !!!!! dont get why it cant be gravity and i kw in 1 kw out ..whats that about..

If you are not experienced/qualified in this type of work LEAVE it ALONE.

There have been a number of accidents recently specifically with back boilers
- wrongly installed there are a household bomb. Get a hetas registered
plumber to visit. Even if your circuit dia is correct and I dont like the 28mm - 22mm
on the primary circuit. If your joints are not sound you are dealing with very hot water
at times.

Underlying all this is the return to wood/solid fuel and people trying to go green and
heat their homes using less gas/oil/electric. We all see gas bangs and co deaths do
not become a victim of what is a new domestic heating danger zone

centralheatking

few thing wrong with that drawing u are going on ...where did u get that drawning ???

Thanks everybody for the replies, I am a spark, although I can do plumbing I am not a qualified plumber, therefore am no expert in this field at all. I think I may be out of my depth here. When I bought the woodburner I had it drilled and capped ready to fit the boiler for future use, because at the time when I bought it I could not get a straight answer on how it should be plumbed.

Buffy 27.....Thanks for replying, the drawing is one which was suggested to me that may work. I have asked plumbers and have had conflicting replies to my questions. When you were saying there are problems with the drawing what were they?

Centralheatking...Thanks for replying, I know fitting a boiler can be dangerous thats why I never had it fitted when the woodburner was installed, I wanted to be absolutely 100% sure. I think it looks like I will probably have to get a HETAS engineer for a quote

Shorticus...Thanks for replying..The motorised valve is I believe is a safety device which springs shut when the pump is working and open when it is not working such as a power failure, allowing some of the excess hot water to flow in the direction of the radiators.

it would seem unusual to me for a motorised valve to be used in such a way however I'm no expert with solid fuel appliances and it's many years since I've worked with them, I'd probably go with centralheatking's advice too and get a HETAS guy in, good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solid Fuel Central Heating boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock