Search the forum,

Discuss Steel or Acrylic bath? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

This may be a silly question but I thought I would ask. I have been asked to install a new bath, replacing a cast iron bath. The client wants a good sturdy bath and has asked me to recommend a bath make and should it be steel or acrylic. I have only ever fitted acrylic baths so would like anyones advice.

Any recommendations anyone

1. Steel or acrylic
2. Bath manufacturer

thanks

Paul

Can you not have the cast bath re-enamelled? I've heard they look like new when done properly with new taps and waste and theres nowt finer than a cast bath IMO.

Hi Lee

Yes good idea, I have told the client about that as I have seen someone do it and it looks fab. However she is not keen on the idea as she says she has had it done before and it chipped really easily. She also wants the bath turned around

Paul

I think you raise a very good question and I will do my best to advise - but please don't think I am a rep - just an enthusiastic plumber

The Romans didn't think of bathing as important, they thought it was the very foundation of a civilisation - so forget plastic, it squeeks, expands, croaks, loses its colour and only looks good if its hight quality odd shapes.

Cast iron is very heavy, so risk of pulling your back, or chipping while moving around - think about leveling it - very difficult, to do alone with this, so extra labour and less profit. Cast is also an environmental nightmare, as the water that costs ££ to heat, is just absorbed by the cast at room temperature. So cast is a no-no.

Pressed steel has been my preferred choice for years

</title> <META http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html" charset="utf-8"> <META http-equiv="expires" content="0"> <link rel="shorcut icon" href="favicon.ico"></link> <link rel="icon" href="favicon.png" type="image/png"></link> <SCRIPT language="J

I have a bette in my own place, its pressed steel, German heavy gauge compared to the Roca (their basic is about £120 with chrome grips) which is lighter. The baths also come tapless (for wall mouted grohe taps - looks great), they also do one with a lip turn up, to tile down too. They are easy to fit, just two leg sets - fit a batton levelled around at correct height, apply sanitary silicone on batton, and drop bath on. Then adjust down the legs, and screw down, fit brackets as directed on MIs.

The advantages of 'pressed, vitreous enamelled, steel,' can be seen in our hotel chains - they are robust, but most importantly, when wiped with soapy water they clean up to a shimmery shine and always look good - no fading. They are light and one man can fit them. When you bath in them, they feel clean, and sanitary (healthy) and smooth.

Disadvantages - can be chipped easily during transit and installation. I found ordering on line better, as packaging and delivery is good compared to getting one that has been kicking around the merchant for three years.

For economical installations that look good, go for the Grohe euro-plus deck mounted bath mixer, Roca basic bath, and use a Bette chrome plated pop-up, and it will look a million dollars. I always use a pop-up waste on baths and its worth paying for it - the type you want has double flanged washer on the waste fitting, so no silicone is required - and it will not leak when testing.

Tipps - wrap with rockwool on completion of installation, this will keep the heat - in, saving energy. This works well with thermostatic bath shower mixers, because baths can be filled at accurate temps, so topping up is not required - saves energy.

Last edited:
HI I would go for a Carronite bath any good manufacter will do, the bath is reinforced with carronite which makes it have the strength of a cast bath while having benefits in design and finish.

Check out kaldewi steel baths, decent quality at the budget end. Preferably go for one which is 3.5mm thick as it makes a big difference.

My recommend is the Kaldewei Saniform Plus - this is what we got for our place and its rock solid. I can also add that it will quite happily take the weight of two people plus the water without moving! You can get various options with handles, anti slip coatings (these are good if its a shower bath). There are other Kaldewei baths in different shapes and styles, but avoid the budget ones as they aren't as strong.

Last edited:
Mine is acrylic not far off the weight of cast very heavy lol
519d92fd-c53a-bd94.jpg
but the saying is normally correct you pay for what you get

Last edited by a moderator:
quite happily take the weight of two people plus the water

Oh yeah WHPES wink wink nudge nudge :wink_smile:

Mine is acrylic not far off the weight of cast very heavy lol
519d92fd-c53a-bd94.jpg
but the saying is normally correct you pay for what you get
Had to look at your picture twice, I thought it was a countertop wash bowl! LOL

I have a B&Q steel bath in the garage, its been there since 2005 and I'm freaking sick of it. Its got stuff piled on it and will no dout be scuffed now I'll think I'll have to scrap it.

Anyone used Ancona Amonzonite baths ? I'ts what I'm looking at for my bathroom right now. I'm a handyman rather than a plumber so will take any advice on board gratefully

Its the vitreous enamelling that matters to the user of a bath. It cleans well and does not fade with age - nothing comes close to this for a hygenic finish.

The products which are stone/polymer moulded look great, but time will tell as to their robustness and ability to stay nice, given the chemical soups that people use for cleaning.

No material comes close to pressed steel enamelling for me, but I do accept that people have differring opinions based on how things look. My analysis is supported by many years of fitting and bathing - the newer materials have not really been around long enough to judge.

For example I have a zirconite shower tray installed at home (plumb centre brand) from about 20 years ago - its now a light shade of yellow, instead of the original white. I had a cast iron white bath, which lost its colour due to flash powder my wife used - I paid a grand for that bath and had to smash it out. I fitted a bette pressed steel in its place and is much warmer due to insulation fitted under and around behind panel (this can be purchased in polystyrene and made to measure if needs be) - its cheaper too because the mass of cast does not absorb the heat as readily as steel or stone - so more efficient means of bathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Steel or Acrylic bath? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock