Search the forum,

Discuss Stop tap seized in 60mm underground steel pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SandyMac

I have an old steel water pipe coming through part of the farm which measures approximately 60mm external diameter. The stop tap has completely seized so I can't shut the water off, so it needs to be replaced. As it has all rusted so much, I think I am going to have to shut the water off to the whole farm and cut it out with an angle grinder. What fittings and sizes would I then need to be able to fit a new stop tap, and how would I fit it all in because there is no way the pipe is going to move anywhere to give me any room to play with. It maybe I'm completely out of my depth, but I would like to do it myself if possible. Any advice is gratefully received.

2" galvanized pipe has an od of 60.3mm

It will be a very hard job to tackle, but it is possible.

Difficult to explain how to do it, will get some pictures in a minute

I would cut out a section of old pipe and stopcock and connect to the existing with georg fischer fittings Georg Fischer Piping Systems Ltd. - PRIMOFIT and then 50mm MDPE pipe and stopcock, but if your unsure get someone in

Were are you? someone on here maybe able to help

Fittings look the business never heard of them either. Do you get any play when replacing a section or is it just a case of leaving the pipe slightly short in every fitting so you can slip the section in then adjust so they all make a seal?

Fittings look the business never heard of them either. Do you get any play when replacing a section or is it just a case of leaving the pipe slightly short in every fitting so you can slip the section in then adjust so they all make a seal?

You get a bit of play but you would need to cut pipe short on a 2" pipe

Thanks for the help. Am starting to think it's a bit too complicated. Have dug either side of the tap and found Viking Johnson fittings about a foot either side, so there must have been a problem here in the past as well. There was half a label on one of them with '60.3mm' and '2" nom' still legible. Will these come undone and fit back on again or are they single use? If they do, and they will also slip along the steel to give me some play, I think I could lift out the middle section with the tap in it, replace the tap and refit (rust permitting).
ps I'm in West Wiltshire, just outside Bath.

Yes thats easier then, VJ's are reusable and will slip back down pipe.

Do as you say and just replace middle section.

if you have a vj either side you may be able to remove the section and strip the valve down once its out recondition or just change the working part leaving the body in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stop tap seized in 60mm underground steel pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock