Discuss Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

any help would be gratefully accepted. We’ve had a single storey extension to the rear with toilet. Now we have a strange sewage like odour coming from behind the kitchen sink but not this side of the trap. The sink waste along with the new bathroom waste all now go into the soil pipe which in turn is now enclosed in the extension. The soil stack is now a plastic one instead of a cast iron one which has a cap or air admittance valve on top. This has also been shortened by about 5 feet and no longer goes through the waves and onto the roof. There is also a new manhole which I haven’t checked if it’s blocked but I wouldn’t think so as it’s only weeks old. (I’ll lift the lid and check at the weekend) once again thanks for any help. Steve.

Is that standing water in the manhole?
It’s moving but slowly. That’s with the kitchen taps on full.
Quite a bit of builders crap in the drains.
Yeah I thought that. The part brick and a bit of debris fell in as I opened the lid and the water is slightly flowing with the kitchen taps on. (Not sure how fast the flow should be)

It's not really a question of how fast the flow should be. The fall on the pipe should not allow any standing or sluggish water. There's a blockage somewhere. Clear out that debris. If you've had your dinner and you're up for it, lift the next lid on the run. Watch out for Mr Rat. Enjoy :)

It's not really a question of how fast the flow should be. The fall on the pipe should not allow any standing or sluggish water. There's a blockage somewhere. Clear out that debris. If you've had your dinner and you're up for it, lift the next lid on the run. Watch out for Mr Rat. Enjoy :)
So I’ve been and bought some rods today and cleared the manhole. Got some old peices of the cast iron soil pipe out the the builder obviously dropped when he was fitting the plastic pipe. Plus a few other odds n hens. Literally. Lol. Now I’ll suppose it’s how long I have to wait before the smell disperses from behind the sink.

9A87584F-A20D-4937-B010-6288AB220E5A.jpeg

So now everything is unblocked. How long would it normally take for the smell from behind the sink disappear. It’s not coming from the plug hole.

How long is a piece of string?

Unless you have some way of blasting fresh air through all the voids where the smell is lingering it will gradually diminish and lose a certain proportion of its concentration day-by-day.

My worry, and I'm always a pessimist when it comes to drains, would be that the root cause of the smell is a leaky drain and the blockage forced sewage out through the leak into the surrounding ground. If this is the case it will take as long as it takes for the ground to dry out.

If I owned this problem and the smell hung around for more than a week or so, I'd be considering having a CCTV inspection and a leak test. As I said, I am a bit of a pessimist, but a builder that left the drains in the condition you found them in is IME likely to have cut other corners. In these days of 'polluter pays', you really don't want to have a foul drain leaking into the ground for years.

U nfortunately there's definitely a bit of a problem there . It's just not possible to cut into an insepction chamber in that way. Debris will always be falling in and blocking the pipe (aided by rats), sewage will then be leaking out into the ground causing a potential health hazard.:oops: It will need sorting.

Airflow is coming in the open window and pushing the smell back down behind the sink where there is an opening down to where the sewage leak is - the opening from which the sewage usually smell issues. Have you lifted the lids on that run again yet? I know I said i was out but I can't not see a problem through to the end.

Reply to Strange sewage smell coming from behind kitchen sink cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back