Discuss Stripping the boxed Mectron - Potterton Statesman in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Aaaargh today. Aaaargh.

Boiler wont start, buzzing noise.
Mectron in a box, you know, the one with the 4 screws to take the lid off and has a solid feed pipe and the HP pipe is at the back?
Wangled the pump off and sure enough, its been leaking into the motor and seized it.
Freed up the motor, splashed 3in1 down it, whirls like a humming bird, lovely.
New pump wangled on (with swearing) - run up but no pressure! Pump is duff!!
(Another) new pump on (swearing). Run up, 120psi, firing - hurrah. Shut down, pressure gauge off, back on..bzzzzzzzzz.

arse.

Pump off (swearing) - fan cover off (swearing). Fan seized on (very swearing).
Angle grinder the fan off.
New motor on, new fan ...ah, right size wrong hole size....swearing.
Whiz up to colleagues garage - rustle and huzzah! correct fan.
Back together and running.
FGA set and good although a rumbling start up. Ignore, go home 3 3/4 hours on site.

Customer calls, says start up is rumbling....go back tomorrow and check electrodes etc.

Aaaargh today. Aaaargh.

How was your afternoon?

If Kerosine gets in the motor bearings, I replace the bearings as it wrecks them. The motor just seizes up.
Could you have got the old fan off? I know some of them can be well rusted on, but I try to be patient with it & get some Wd 40 in the spindle while tapping the centre bit of fan. Had one to do recently & managed it after 5 minutes of trying my best. If you slacken the grub screw on fan & turn the fan while holding the other side of the motor drive (where oil pump drive goes) you will find the fan will screw off rather than pull off.
Do check all the oil filters from the tank aren't blocked also.

I tried everything to get the fan off, even used heat (always good with WD40, hehe). Believe me the angle grinder was the last resort :)
After our recent discussion on bearings, I would have changed them except I knackered the end of the motor grind the fan off.
Im not usually a rough handed ape, its just bad frustrating luck. :)

any of you use the fan puller from regin?? I bough it, worked well but hell of a job to get an allen key inside fan, I made myself an "basic oil box" Stanley organiser with some nozzles , 10 bearings, mix of 6 drive couplings, 10 mm - 3/8 - 1/4 an 10mm taps , oil flexies , fan puller, bearings puller etc

YEAH HARGH, its not only me that has those :nono: days, made my day seeing that post Best :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly. When things start going wrong, I find even the simplest tasks go wrong. :smile:
I had to go about 15 miles to an unknown boiler which turned out to be a neglected Warmflow HE full of soot. Took me at least 3 1/2 hours on the job & although I managed to keep fairly clean & worn gloves, all the tools I handled got sooty. Really a days work for one bolier.

Trouble is, how much do you charge? I have a published call out price structure but using that, on 3 3/4 hours, the labour alone would have been £222.50 plus vat! I couldnt charge that on top of a new motor and pump (both the Riello prices!). So I decided on £120 labour which he was grateful for.

any of you use the fan puller from regin?? I bough it, worked well but hell of a job to get an allen key inside fan, I made myself an "basic oil box" Stanley organiser with some nozzles , 10 bearings, mix of 6 drive couplings, 10 mm - 3/8 - 1/4 an 10mm taps , oil flexies , fan puller, bearings puller etc

You have trouble getting the Allen key inside fan? Use single Allen keys - longer type & put the shorter end into the fan screw. Or there should be a hole on one of the fans blades opposite the grub screw.

You have trouble getting the Allen key inside fan? Use single Allen keys - longer type & put the shorter end into the fan screw. Or there should be a hole on one of the fans blades opposite the grub screw.
I think he means getting the allen key into the grub screw on the puller, there wont be much space around it.

You'd have been better putting a new burner on, set it up & been away inside an hour & charged very little.
Tbh, I got £60 for all my effort & a couple parts. I have to go back soon to replace the condense trap & retest the combustion, but that will be more wasted time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stripping the boxed Mectron - Potterton Statesman in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock