Search the forum,

Discuss Sub contractor work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adam brennan

I've recently been contacted by a recruitment agency for a position as a subby for British gas. I'm looking for people who have been, or are subbies for British gas. I just want to know the ins and outs from engineers before I go down that route.
Cheers guys

Agency's contact everyone at this time of year, if you are thinking of subbing to BG you will need a power flush machine and sock-it-and -see electrical test equipment, answer a load of questions, do a personality test to see If you can be brain washed into thinking like them

Try to go direct if contracting as the agency are just parasitic entities who take at
least 10% for precisely nothing.
I subbed to them in winter 2010 and earnt vvv well. I think it depends entirely on the area worked and the management concerned (management in the loosest possible term). The problem came when the spring came and they put you on service only I think it was 18 quid a service vs 55 a complete breakdown. Some days 10 breakdowns and and 5 services were done. Long old day and stressful but was worth it financially.
Good luck with it.

I am subbie for british gas a few days a week and love it. no messing around sorting materials as all delivered to site just turn up do the job go home and get paid. yes you have to follow there procedures before and after calls but once done a few times comes second nature and now even use that idea with my own customers and they love it.i would fully recommend it to anyone.

Cheers guys for the replies. Very helpful. Is there there a lot of outlay before you see a return. How often do you get paid? I've got a young family and it's really important that I get regular draws, at least at the start anyway. Cheers again guys

Think its 30 days terms on payment. I worked as an installer for bg. Times for installation are very tight, you are expected to get it right first time, tow the company line and give top customer service eg call the customer 24hrs before and after installation etc

Dont go through the agency go direct

Which area are you in?

I'm in East London. I've been told they've got a lot of work for installs. Good money , but just need to find out the ins and outs from the blokes who do the work. Any other info would be welcomed. Cheers

i wont talk bout my rates but the one thing i will say same as gasmanxxxr1 and iain85 stay well clear of agency go direct dont let the useless people take a cut of your money what you will be working hard for. most agency are a complete waste of time i was with CER and for the life i cant tell you how bad they really are

I contracted direct with bg a year or so ago and the rate then was ÂŁ18 a service and ÂŁ50 a completed breakdown if you use there van and slightly more using your own van but then you had to pay for diesel,i enjoyed it and you can earn decent money as the people that pay through the nose for there cover dont tend to do anything so repressuring combi's and changing batterys in thermostats is common for ÂŁ50 in the winter on a cold day you will earn loads with frozen condensates,down side full strip clean on back boilers for ÂŁ18 can get tiresome.
They will expect you to sell like crazy co detector,spirotech's and arrange boiler leads for boilers where they state parts are not available.
An average day would be 8-10 service or 7 or 8 breakdown with selling commision on top.
I left because i wanted to do more varied work ie installations as well but a few of the lads i was with got took on full time,
if your not really busy give it a go you've nothing to loose.

Thanks for all the info guys. Really helping with my decisions. Ta

what was you looking to be doing as a subbie service and breakdown or installations i do installs and love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sub contractor work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi I've just had my annual maintenance check on my boiler (in title), it will be 8 years old in May this year and is (I think) still under guarantee as I get it checked annually with British Gas (they installed it and said the guarantee would be extended until it is 10yr old if I kept the annual...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The issue is quite simple to repair not sure why any one of the 2 plumbers could not fix it. Why am I paying for cover. The auto air vents in part of the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock