Search the forum,

Discuss subcontracting and materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thorn

what do people generally think is acceptable to be expected to provide in terms of materials on site for subcontracting work. Reason i ask is there is a firm offering me some installs with most materials provided, i.e. boiler and copper, but want me to provide all waste pipe and fittings. I know most expect you to provide minor things such as copper fittings and clips, flux and solder etc but this seems to be taking the p1ss
thanks

if they pay fine, but thats when t all starts to go wrong imho

labour only is what i would be looking to do. This includes labour, standard tools and driving upto 10 miles.
All consumables to be supplied with materials, i am not supplying flux, solder or even a hacksaw blade otherwise im charging for it plus a percentage ontop.

labour and materials i want cost of materials plus percentage ontop, labour includes fetching time.
labour includes driving time unless less than 10 miles, over 10 miles and fuel is charged for.

i would speak to the person your working for and agree prices for materials and percentages ontop before starting any work.

REMEMBER..... your running a business, if you provide a service or item you need to make a profit otherwise whats the point.

Last edited:
One company I spoke to wanted you to supply copper pipe! Needless to say I didn't take it up.

I think solder, flux, clips and screws fair enough anything else they supply.

I get everything supplied, talons and screws can work out expensive if you use loads!

Subcontracting is for you and your tools nothing else. New blades, flux, the air I'm breathing they have to supply it all or I'm billing for it with mark up.

I think it depends on the relationship you have with the company.

You may be able to negotiate an allowance in your price for consumables, pipe and fittings.

As an employer and someone who uses subcontractors from time to time, nothing 'upsets' me more than having a subcontractor buy / or charge for PVC glue, because they need it for a couple of joints.

Maybe I should order a vending machine so that I can charge them for beer or soft drinks at the end of the day, or a coffee or tea in the morning before work.

I stick on a 5r on every invoice for van supplies . that covers loads of stuff
gloves, the odd crew cable ties,bit of silicone, tape, pretty much anything that I am not changing for as a whole unit is in that charge

nobody complained so far

it is only 100 a year but it covers that stuff nobody sees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to subcontracting and materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock