Discuss System Upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
My brother has just bought his first house and it currently has a conventional gravity system with a standard boiler (old 15 year old gloworm).

Mains pressure/flow rate is 3.5bar/14lpm.

2 floors (ground and 1st), 5 rad system. 1 bathroom, 1 toilet, 1 kitchen.

I've recommended a combi system as he wants rid of the cylinder and loft tanks, which I'm planning to install for him as soon as I get my gas ticket (hopefully by end of the month).

All the cold outlets are on mains already.

I've assisted on 2 upgrades from conventional to combi but was unable to always watch what the guy was doing re: connecting pipework.

So I was looking for some advice really on undertaking a task like this and methods/tips etc.

Cheers in advance

Its a tiny system! Why not just rip out the lot and start from scratch.
He will thank you for it in the long run...

Its a tiny system! Why not just rip out the lot and start from scratch.
He will thank you for it in the long run...
I did actually think about doing that ...

If its an old system and the water in is is crappy. It would be best to repipe the lot and could be done in the time you would otherwise take to flush it out.

If you do an upgrade (I call them conversions. A combi is seldom an upgrage....)

Things to look for
Is the system fully pumped? Or does it have gravity hw circs?
Do any rads heat up when hw only is selected?

The answers to these questions will point you in the right direction for altering the system [emoji6]

If its an old system and the water in is is crappy. It would be best to repipe the lot and could be done in the time you would otherwise take to flush it out.

If you do an upgrade (I call them conversions. A combi is seldom an upgrage....)

Things to look for
Is the system fully pumped? Or does it have gravity hw circs?
Do any rads heat up when hw only is selected?

The answers to these questions will point you in the right direction for altering the system [emoji6]
Its fully pumped.. Didn't check if any rads were on the dhw circuit

Well you will need to!
If any rads do heat up you need to repipe the feeds to the heating side.

The 2/3 port valve/s and pump need removing as does the pipe leg from the primary to the cylinder. Feed and vent from the f+e tank need capping off and any bypass valve will likely be a gatevalve type and will need finding and upgrading to an auto bypass, possibly relocating to somewhere more accessible and dependent of course on the mi's of whichever boiler you decide to install.

Well you will need to!
If any rads do heat up you need to repipe the feeds to the heating side.

The 2/3 port valve/s and pump need removing as does the pipe leg from the primary to the cylinder. Feed and vent from the f+e tank need capping off and any bypass valve will likely be a gatevalve type and will need finding and upgrading to an auto bypass, possibly relocating to somewhere more accessible and dependent of course on the mi's of whichever boiler you decide to install.

I'll probably fit a worcester greenstar 25i which has an auto bypass fitted internally. I'll check the rad situation out regarding dhw circuit.

Cheers kay-jay

I'd have a look at his incoming mains as well Jay. 3.5bar is good, 14l/min not brilliant. Might be an old lead pipe that's got kinked or the stopcock not opening fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System Upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking to upgrade a couple of rads in my house but wanted to get some advice on suitability. I have a glowworm bg330 31 kw conventional boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a Kinetico 2020c HE Water Softener, fitted in 2008 in our loft to the cold water tank in a vented system with a conventional boiler...
Replies
Views
A
We have a vaillant combi boiler that over ~ 2yrs loses a bit of pressure, and recently after 2 weeks away and no use the system would not fire and...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock