Discuss There's times when I wonder why I bother. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Started a Combi swap yesterday, not completely straight forward, roof flue, upgrade gas but should have been done easily in two days.

Didn't start too well 6 mbar drop on gas. Capped off where it entered the property and it tested fine. Got the new boiler up and running last night after a late one but left them with no cooker or gas fire. Started tracing the gas pipe today with a view to renewing or partially renewing. I cut out the old boiler feed and stuck an air test on the remaining, still dropping so I took up more floor.

Next board I took up I found where the feed to the cooker teed off, I noticed that the elbow appeared loose on the pipe - it wasn't soldered. Great I thought I've found the leak and replaced this elbow and retested, still dropping. Found a minor leak on the bayonet so changed it and still dropping.

Took another couple of boards up, looked under the boards towards the gas fire and spied a compression fitting. Well that had to come out anyway so I cut the pipe and went into the lounge to remove the restrictor elbow. I disconnected the 8mm going to the fire and pulled the restrictor elbow up out of the floor. It was threaded onto an 8mm compression gas lever valve with the lever removed. Classy stuff. When I pulled the pipe out from under the floor it was 15mm into a compression fitting with 8mm in a reducing set the other side.

I replaced all of the pipework up to the restrictor elbow and air tested again, still dropping. Sprayed up the fire connection and it was leaking, undid the fitting and the olive was not on the pipe properly. Temporarily capped this and finally got a good air test.

I then turned the gas off again and reconnected this section to the live section. Tested and got a drop again. By now I was pulling out my hair. Disconnected and tested again, still dropping. this had tested fine last night. Disced the meter and tested again, still dropping. Meter union washers now leaking. had to call out Southern Gas Networks as I'd run out of washers (now got plenty thanks to the friendly SGN fitter). Finally managed to get the gas back on and the heating running again at 5 this evening.

I've been slogging all day and left the custard in exactly the same position they were in last night, heating and hot water but no cooker and gas fire. Fortunately the custard has seen me ripping out dodgy fittings all day. Just got to reconnect the pipework I disconnected again tomorrow, flush system and finish off PRV (currently runs outside in a pvc tube, looks to have been extended when an outside loo was added.

There must be an easier way to earn a living. In hindsight I should have just ripped the gas carcase out but that initial finding of an unsoldered joint got my hopes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i often think how bad a job choice this was but then you get a good few weeks were everything goes perfectly and its the best job in the world

had a leak once, took me ages to find the leak

turned out when the meter was in one position it would leak ( normal operating position)

when swung out to cap and test, no leak,

as you can guess i was going back and fore capping pipe etc for ages

omg what a day you had ! i know how exactly you do fill ! I always tell my self all easy jobs have been done many moons ago just all the difficult once are left for me to safer cos I did not study when I was young at school

I was hoping to do a nice easy cold water storage cistern swap tomorrow but I've had to push that over to next week now. Bit gutting as they've got a nice cheque for me for the boiler swap I did week before last.

sometimes i do a tightness test when a pricing job, if any issues show up, you can tell him that they will have to be fixed first.

sometimes i do a tightness test when a pricing job, if any issues show up, you can tell him that they will have to be fixed first.

You leave them with a leak?

Honestly :) I'd rather check out how much gas was being supplied before worrying about whether there's a leak or not...... That's me though and i don't fit many boilers these days :)

You leave them with a leak?

nae leaks being left, if there's a leak, i fix it & leaks = cash. most of my boiler instals are recommends so i can usually tell if i'm getting the job. obviously would'nt do for time wasting a-rse hols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to There's times when I wonder why I bother. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock