Search the forum,

Discuss Thermal store pumping over from wood burner-recommendations requested in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

B

baldchris

I'm looking for help with an open vented central heating system that is pumping over. We have a thermal store that has two heat sources - gas central heating, and a wood burner - both feeds are pumped with a Wilo Smart A 25/4-130 circulation (one pump per feed). When the wood burner kicks in (when water is 75 degrees), the water pumped into the thermal store is pumped over into the feed and expansion tank. We don't get the problem with the gas central heating feed.
The wood burner pump is set to the lowest control mode - the gas to the highest. I can't raise the F&E tank higher, nor the vent into the F&E tank.
The only option, I think, is to install a 'weaker' pump for the wood burner. The only reason this has a pump at all, is because there is quite a long, near horizontal feed into the thermal store, so there was a fear that gravity alone would be insufficient. So, my thoughts are that if I more gently pump the water into the store, then it is less likely to pump over (or this could expose my poor grasp of physics!).
So the questions are - do I have any other options - and if I change the pump, are there any recommendations? As you can tell from my explanation, I am not qualified in this area, but I have a vague grasp of the issue!
Thanks for any advice!

Reply to Thermal store pumping over from wood burner-recommendations requested in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock