Discuss Thoughts on the Hive thermostatic valves ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve been asked about installing some Hive Thermostatic heads to a combi system. I wondered what’s people’s opinions on them, firstly from an installation point of view and secondly from a users view ?
The customer has a two up two down type of house with a ideal logic 24kw boiler just been installed.

We have two trial systems using the Hive multi zone system. The results at best are patchy! The concept is similar to Evohome ( which has its issues), but Hive connectivity does not compare to Evohome. From a pricing perspective the valves are the same price - the saving with Hive is only the difference in price of the control unit.

If you are not familiar with these type of systems, you really need to price the installation and two further visits. User expectations are often very high and return visits to re-explain the system or resolve connectivity issues are ( in our experience) the norm.

Specifically with respect to Hive make sure that the valve bodies are undamaged (the threads and pin in particular ) and compatible with the Hive actuator. If the pin is stiff, the actuator won’t drive the valve (Honeywell have a high power setting for “sticky” valves).

As a business, it ( valve controlled zoned systems) seems to be a booming market. We are fitting three times as many now (two to three a week) as we were 18 months ago.

We have two trial systems using the Hive multi zone system. The results at best are patchy! The concept is similar to Evohome ( which has its issues), but Hive connectivity does not compare to Evohome. From a pricing perspective the valves are the same price - the saving with Hive is only the difference in price of the control unit.

If you are not familiar with these type of systems, you really need to price the installation and two further visits. User expectations are often very high and return visits to re-explain the system or resolve connectivity issues are ( in our experience) the norm.

Specifically with respect to Hive make sure that the valve bodies are undamaged (the threads and pin in particular ) and compatible with the Hive actuator. If the pin is stiff, the actuator won’t drive the valve (Honeywell have a high power setting for “sticky” valves).

As a business, it ( valve controlled zoned systems) seems to be a booming market. We are fitting three times as many now (two to three a week) as we were 18 months ago.

Thank you for your view and also advice. I'll be honest I don understand why you'd want to zone the heating in such a small house.

Going on what you've said I think that replacing the thermostatic valves with the Hive heads is probably the best way to go.

Thank you again, its muchly appreciated

I’ve been asked about installing some Hive Thermostatic heads to a combi system. I wondered what’s people’s opinions on them, firstly from an installation point of view and secondly from a users view ?
The customer has a two up two down type of house with a ideal logic 24kw boiler just been installed.
There is no point on a 2 up 2 down its all one zone maybe two trv on upstairs rads as that’s where the heat will end up centralheatking

Reply to Thoughts on the Hive thermostatic valves ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock