Search the forum,

Discuss to drain or not to drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Was watching watchdog couple months ago and they had a go at one of the plumbers because he drained down when not needed, amongst other things.

Now got me thinking how many of you drain the whole heating system and how many just drain individual radiators. Now I am not interested in freezing kits, i.e.

The example is radiator valve is broke and needs replacing, on the top floor, do you drain whole system or just drain down the radiator and open valves until pipes run dry?

Which ever is easiest. Drain down on a open system often leaves you with air problems, a small job can turn into a nightmare

exactly, my thoughts, always drain down. but am interested in other opinions, of course we are suppose to be environmentally friendly but in my opinion this is house friendly, rather waste a little water then have a massive puddle all over the floor.

Plug the vent and cold feed ( bottle it up) much easier and faster

depends on the system combi its no prob but open vent can be a pain however for a top floor rad id just drain enough to empty the rad
its easy being the "expert" on these shows but a plumber whod just buggered a cream carpet on the last job would be playing safe and draining downat least untill the memory faded

I tend to avoid draining in any situation. Because I just can't be bothered with airlocks later on.

But in certain cases you have too. All depends

Avoid draining if I can get away with it, if I have to I tend to drain fully, had a good run just recently done em all live. Got two connections to make this week for 2 towel rails and a moved radiator. Top floor of nursing home and can't drain down so it's down to the slice, me thumb and a couple of towels.

It is easy for the telly "so called experts" to say what should and should not be done. If they were that much expert they wouldn't be prostituting themselves to the BBC for their 5 minutes of fame. It is not their liability insurance or good reputation taking the dunt if it all went mammaries up.
Do what you feel comfortable doing.
Personally i would do it live :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Draining down for one valve replacement? Def not! Even if nut & olive or / and rad tail need changed also, it's still easy job for a pro & saves waste of inhibitor. Sealed system, - take pressure off & pipe dead. Open vented, - plug vent+ feed & drop pressure & pipe dead. Changing tail? Easy. Plenty towels obviously. Live pipe at top floor on o/v won't have much press , but worth doing plug method. Not diy admit. Safer, a two man job. Worse case I guess would be working live, cutting olive off, taking nut off & then pipe dropping below floor! :6:

Last edited:
I find freezing saves having to drain down and risk problems if gravity fed. I have had occassions where there is so much rubbish in system that draining down caused blockage that needed powerflush to remove.

I use adjustable pipe cutters at floor sometimes as only thing at hand when a pipe needs soldered. I can tighten cutters gently against pipe. I don't normally use it on rad pipes as I don't let them out of my hand if they can drop! I changed a 22mm ballfix service valve this week that some idiot had fitted years ago to a heating pipe in a hall rad in a large victorian house. Why anyone uses them? It was leaking at seal due to heat. Did it live ( by myself) using towels & stemmed water with towel incase I cut myself. Pressure was a lot! Wooden varnished floor. Job took couple mins. Not for faint hearted though.

Hi, new to this forum, makes for interesting reading. I tend to bung the open vent and cold feed, paint roller tray below the valve and release the pressure. Towels around the pipe and go for it. Have done them live in the past but can be quite messy, as someone stated earlier its not for the faint hearted :). I have tried the pipe freezing kits in the past but find them expensive and time consuming.

One tip I would add is after you have towels carefully fitted is use an old sheet to cover valve area and work blind to lift off valve & refit. Saves ceiling & Walls getting a squirt! :eek: Also don't forget to turn new valve off first before starting! Get someone to help reach you anything.

why did they say plumbers drain down when not needed??? who would do it unless it was necessary?

why did they say plumbers drain down when not needed??? who would do it unless it was necessary?
Guys on rogue traders would to make a job last an hour or two. Like that guy other week who drained everything to change a ball valve in a toilet. Put it where o' flow was & then charged over £600. :20:

Guys on rogue traders would to make a job last an hour or two. Like that guy other week who drained everything to change a ball valve in a toilet. Put it where o' flow was & then charged over £600. :20:

oh i see now, why is it always plumbers who get nailed on these programs?

I hate these blasted programs,

The vast majority of plumbers are very good and want to do a good job. For me whether to drain down or not depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, I'll only drain the top half of the house. Other times I'll drain the whole house.

No, use explaining to the customer that your sorry about his new carpet. The other day, leaking trv and newly decorated room, the customer told me 4 times that the wall paper was £35 per roll, it was already badly stained. I was not going to pay for that. So, drain down.

Bare walls, no cream carpet, just about to be decorated, yeah, don't mind taking a chance then.....

I would say 8 times out of 10 I bung on open vent or release pressure on sealed systems but every job is different. Cant stand using freeze kits ,had a bad experience once that put me off forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to to drain or not to drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock