Discuss toilet cistern cord conneciton / cistern actuator repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

etaf

i have a newish 2007 toilet flush - purchased through MFI

the cistern is a plastic assembly thats fitted inside a cupboard type structure - so not the cistern that is fitted in a self contained assembly - its inside the wooden framework and quite a slimline style

which has a push button flash in the front wooden panel - which is attached to a cord that then raises a circular tube to flush the toilet

it looks like the cable is not lifting the circular assembly, i can see the mechanism and hows its all put together at the button , and that is working OK with a pivot that the push bar moves which than moves the cable
BUT its not moving that the other end in the water , section to lift the column

- not sure if the cable has simply just come off a socket or if its broken somewhere or the plastic lift is broken at all

any diagrams , part numbers or how to repair would be appreciated please

Thanks

I can take a picture tomorrow (saturday) and link if that would help at all

here are two photos -
if i lift the column up it flashes the toilet

I just cant see where the cord goes to
or how to get that assembly out of the toilet

Attachments

• Cistern.jpg
    Cistern.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 32
  • CloseUpInside.jpg
    CloseUpInside.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 34
This 'cable' is a tube and it pushes air to operate the flush mechanism... so make sure both end of the tube are fitted snugly on their respective nipples... also check there's no blockage.... can't quite see the bottom end of the 'column' and connection.... these usually twist and turn to pull out. Best to turn water off to cistern, to check the tube connection to the bottom. good luck

thanks
its the nipple thats broken on the toilet end
its like a brake cable with nipples at both ends

so i have managed to turn it around and use the button nipple at the toilet end
and so now I just have a bare cable with no nipple end to sort out
I'm hoping I can use a crip tool and electrical connector to just crimp something bif enough on the end of the cable so it does not come out the slot

its a optima 50 dual flush valve cable unit - found the same one at plumbcentre - only the cable is too short on the new one :(

if i cannot crimp something on the cable end to make it work , then i will have to get a new panel and refit the know

also reading the instructions - I can adjust the amount of water for a flush - not sure how as there appears to be two settings -
We have had to flush the toilet twice
if you know how to adjust those settings , the instructions dont make a lot of sense

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the answers and support

Managed to fix it by crimping an electrical connection on the cable

all working fine, see how long it lasts

other wise I will put the new one in and change the button position to support the smaller cable length

dont really need a plumber just to turn the unit 15degrees and remove and replace

I fitted all the bathroom , and the cistern and toilet anyway - so i can plumb just needed to know the workings inside the cistern itself

Last edited by a moderator:
'Dont really need a plumber'

So why does he ask the questions on how to fix?! Lol plumbing is easy, dont need to learn anything, just make it up with bits and pieces :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to toilet cistern cord conneciton / cistern actuator repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have to replace the flush valve and/or the washer but unfortunately it's inside the vanity unit. The only way is removing the toilet. I...
Replies
Views
Hi all Relatively inexperienced homeowner here. Apologies in advance if I get any terminology wrong. Today I noticed some limescale accumulation...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am just about to move into a new build property. I took the water meter readings and they read 000000,620 I had a look around the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, First time poster, go easy on me! My toilet cistern seems to be overfilling. It's a narrow plastic cistern (not important I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock