Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

83dons

My 87 year old gran had a terrible experience yesterday when she woke up to ankle deep water in her first floor sheltered flat. Seemingly the toilet flooded and kept flooding at some point. She may have been putting a lot of toilet paper down over time and may have had problems flushing and tried to flush a few times it may have stuck on. The workman cleared the block and was told she had blocked the toilet but not spoke to engineer yet. Sounds off that so much water would come out? First thing we need to do is prevent this happening again. Apart from limiting toilet paper going down and flushes what can we do to kept the drain from blocking in future?

I also notice that since the blockage was cleared the cold water tap in kitchen and toilet are running at barely more than a drip and the toilet takes ages to full and sometimes won't flush on a first attempt. What would cause this and is it concerning with regard to the toilet flooding again?

Appreciate any detailed answers in this as don't really trust the folk who run the home to pass on accurate info and I don't think she will survive the shock of this happening again. It was that bad it flooded the old lady belows flat too. I'm happy to pay or try whatever measures it takes to prevent this happening again. Don't really trust the council workmen to keep on top of the issue.

Don't really know what you can do to convince your gran not to use too much toilet roll, but as for the poor water flow, check that the plumber/workmen didn't partially close the stop tap
If they did, open it fully and then turn back 1/2 a turn( this helps prevent it siezing)
Also, tell your gran that it wasn't her fault and it could have happened to anyone

What area are you ? If you're local I'd be happy to pop in, free of charge, check it out/ sort it and reassure your Gran......

Don't ask why, I just take sympathy on the older folk when this stuff happens to them.....

Toilet overflowing indicative of blockage but amount of flooding would also indicate inlet valve not sealing and internal overflow continuously discharging into pan. This is definately not your gran's fault.
Modern flush systems use limited volume of water, 6 litres or less. Older systems flushing with double that amount were better able to cope.
If she has visits from careers they can often be careless when disposing of latex gloves, paper towels etc.
The reduced flow at tap and cistern, subsequent to blockage, calls into question the competence of those who attended.
Do not accept liability, the toilet should be fit for purpose and properly maintained.

Also, tell your gran that it wasn't her fault and it could have happened to anyone

I'd just like to point out how important this is when dealing with elderly or vulnerable customers. I've had quite a few over the years who appear almost in shock at the damage they may have caused. I know it doesn't always help but to give this reassurance of being able to put things right can mean a lot to some folk.

I've worked with some real gits in the past who seem to make people feel stupid even if the customer is not at fault and even if they are some diplomacy and tact goes a long way.

Full sympathy for those who don't know.
Less for them who should know.
And very little for those who think they know and will not listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled...
Replies
Views
J
I use flushable wipes and I know that there has been previous advice not to flush them but it says a new and improved design allows them to be...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
R
One of my toilets has air bubbles coming up every once in a while. Sometimes the toilet fills up to the top and goes down slowly. It seems to...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have a commercial customer who asked me a few months ago to investigate a toilet that kept blocking. They'd just had the blockage...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock