Search the forum,

Discuss Topping up boiler pressure twice a day... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ani

We had a new boiler, pipework and radiators (x15) installed this summer (mid Aug) - a Worcester Bosch 24Ri Greenstar conventional condensing boiler with hot water cylinder, cold water storage in the loft and Salamander pump to increase water pressure in the first and second floor bathrooms. The house is a 1960's townhouse.

From the very start, we have had issues with pressure dropping on the boiler (we moved back in 20 Aug). The start of the problems has been confused by a broken radiator, but this only started to leak outside the house once it was put right by the plumber the week after moving back.

The boiler has been checked twice by Worcester Bosch and there is nothing wrong with it mechanically.

The pressure started dropping slowly (late Aug/Sep), but once we started putting the heating on timer daily (early Oct) – we were topping up just over once a week.

A plumber inserted a sealant in the system – this did not help and I started topping up every other day (early Nov).

There is no sign of a leak in the house and no water coming out of the boiler overflow. Water pressure in taps is good and central heating/hot water are working OK once the boiler pressure is topped up.

We are now having to top up twice daily so a temporary pressure limiting valve has been installed.

What do you recommend we should next?

Thank you.

there is clearly a leak somewhere, you need to get the installer back and they could try repressurising system then isolating boiler for a day, then they will be able to see if its a problem with the system or the boiler. unfortunately this will mean you have no heating for the day

Why is your plumber / installer not sorting this out ? If you do not get this done quickly you may well be needing a new boiler & rads again soon.

Best option is to break the system down into floors if you can get to the pipework cut in valves on each level & turn them off over night & check the pressure at least you will know which floor the leak is on & you can work from there.
The boiler can also be isolated from the system to make sure it to is not the cause. When testing only raise the pressure up to 3 Bar if you can to see if this helps to find / hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Topping up boiler pressure twice a day... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Would anyone know which side valve I need to use in order to top up pressure on my boiler. Many Thanks in advance
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock