Discuss towel rail converted to dual fuel? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a customer ask me if they can have one of thier towel rails converted to dual fuel, is that possible? thanks

My first idea would be that it would be OK (not ideal) to have a top/bottom flow+return thus leaving one of the bottom connections free for the element. Of course it would heat up more than just the radiator. Then I thought of a relay in the electric switch that closes 2 zone valves to stop the heat transfer through the pipes. But that would mean the expansion from the element heating the rad water would have nowhere to go and you can't leave an air gap if the flow is going in the top of the rad....
Hmm, this one will hopefully get some interesting responses :)
Maybe these already exist and the problems have already been solved?

Maybe these already exist and the problems have already been solved?

Yes they do exist.

And you can convert an existing;

[DLMURL]http://towel-radiator.com/categories/Electric-Elements/Dual-Fuel-Heated-Towel-Rails/[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
thansk for that, I noticed it said you need to fit the element to the bottom of the towel rail, wouldnt the trv and lockshield already be in the bottom?

Just seen the chrome tee piece, that must go in the bottom and the lockshield/element must go into it

Last question, can you get an element that can be thermostatically controlled rather than just on or off at the spur and cuts out at a set temprature?

The "T" piece with these dual fuel towel rails is a bit of a problem to make water tight. Essentially getting it tight and in the right orientation at the same time can be a problem. The towel rail I bought was a "dual fuel" towel rail and came with an o ring to fit on the 3/4 inch BSP thread. Well, that was useless as it just gets pushed out when you tighten the "T" piece up. I tried loads of PTFE tape. Still leaked. I tried making up a plastic washer of the right thickness, with loads of PTFE tape and jointing compound. The washer split. It doesn't help that where the "T" piece fits the towel rail, the towel rail is not actually flat. Having decided what orientation I need I am just going to take it apart, clean it up nicely and solder the "T" piece into the bottom of the towel rail. This will be I think the fourth attempt with it. Thankfully I had the foresight to put full-bore isolators on the towel rail and all the other radiators when I set it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to towel rail converted to dual fuel? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock