Discuss Trouble with single pipe system in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

(Replying to SJB, post #3)

Its recommended that you pump away from the expansion vessel, if the E.vessel is installed as close to the pump (suction) as possible then the pump will run with a head of E.vessel press+pump press so if pump (differential ) head is 0.5bar and E.vessel is 1.0 bar, outlet side of the pump will run at 1.5 bar, if installed on the discharge side of the pump then the pump discharge will be 1 bar and the suction 0.5 bar which even though unlikely can lead to air ingress if high system head losses and perhaps circulation issues.
This pump is running at 1.0 bar stopped and 1.5 bar running so E.vessel may be installed as recommended. Its interesting that all the rads heat up at 1.8 bar. Also very important with any system is the E.vessel pre charge and filling pressure, the filling pressure should always be higher than the pre charge pressure to give a little reserve so that the cold pressure is always at the required pressure.

Regarding the installed 80 litre E.vessel, if one assumes a average hot system temperature of 70C then a pre charge pressure of 1.0 bar with a filling pressure of 1.5 bar will result in a reserve of 16 litres and a final pressure of 1.84 bar ASSUMING the total system volume is 350 litres (I worked backwards), if the pre pressure is increased to 1.8 bar ( to get all rads circulating) then a filling pressure of 2.0 bar will give a reserve of 5.3 litres and a final pressure of 2.31 bar for the same 350 litres.

One way or the other IMO its vital to check those pre charge and filling pressures.

Last edited:
(Replying to SJB, post #3)

Its recommended that you pump away from the expansion vessel, if the E.vessel is installed as close to the pump (suction) as possible then the pump will run with a head of E.vessel press+pump press so if pump (differential ) head is 0.5bar and E.vessel is 1.0 bar, outlet side of the pump will run at 1.5 bar, if installed on the discharge side of the pump then the pump discharge will be 1 bar and the suction 0.5 bar which even though unlikely can lead to air ingress if high system head losses and perhaps circulation issues.
This pump is running at 1.0 bar stopped and 1.5 bar running so E.vessel may be installed as recommended. Its interesting that all the rads heat up at 1.8 bar. Also very important with any system is the E.vessel pre charge and filling pressure, the filling pressure should always be higher than the pre charge pressure to give a little reserve so that the cold pressure is always at the required pressure.

Regarding the installed 80 litre E.vessel, if one assumes a average hot system temperature of 70C then a pre charge pressure of 1.0 bar with a filling pressure of 1.5 bar will result in a reserve of 16 litres and a final pressure of 1.84 bar ASSUMING the total system volume is 350 litres (I worked backwards), if the pre pressure is increased to 1.8 bar ( to get all rads circulating) then a filling pressure of 2.0 bar will give a reserve of 5.3 litres and a final pressure of 2.31 bar for the same 350 litres.

One way or the other IMO its vital to check those pre charge and filling pressures.

Yes that is interesting. I would say the total volume would be a fair bit higher and more like 600/700l judging by the size of the rads and length of pipe work.

OK then, why don't you increase the E.vessel pressure?, if I've interpreted you correctly you said that 1.8 bar is satisfactory.

A 650 lire system with a 80 litre E.vessel and 70C system temp should give the following:
Pre pressure Filling Pressure Final pressure reserve
1.0bar 1.0bar 1.43bar 0 litres
1.0bar 1.5bar 2.21bar 16 litres
1.8bar 2.0bar 2.70bar 5.3litres

OK then, why don't you increase the E.vessel pressure?, if I've interpreted you correctly you said that 1.8 bar is satisfactory.

A 650 lire system with a 80 litre E.vessel and 70C system temp should give the following:
Pre pressure Filling Pressure Final pressure reserve
1.0bar 1.0bar 1.43bar 0 litres
1.0bar 1.5bar 2.21bar 16 litres
1.8bar 2.0bar 2.70bar 5.3litres

Yes I shall try that. As if left untouched the boiler will just stay at 1 bar and won’t drop below which is why I’m still doubtful there’s a leak.
Thank you

It’s very common to have leaks that only happen when above a certain pressure level.

Thanks, just trying to get a feel for your system contents, based on that and assuming a 70/60C flow/return temp.
The 80 litre E.vessel with a pre charge pressure of 0.5 bar and a filling pressure of 1.0 bar (reserve of 20 litres) with a final pressure of 1.7 bar would mean a system contents of 850 litres. A pre charge pressure is 1.0 bar (no reserve) would mean a system contents of 1125 Litres.

Thanks, just trying to get a feel for your system contents, based on that and assuming a 70/60C flow/return temp.
The 80 litre E.vessel with a pre charge pressure of 0.5 bar and a filling pressure of 1.0 bar (reserve of 20 litres) with a final pressure of 1.7 bar would mean a system contents of 850 litres. A pre charge pressure is 1.0 bar (no reserve) would mean a system contents of 1125 Litres.

Evening John,
The expansion vessel is at 2.1bar,
What does this mean?

Reply to Trouble with single pipe system in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All I have a single pipe central heating system which was extended 20 years ago when we had an extension. The heating upstairs has never been...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock