Discuss TRV Continuously Shutting Radiator Off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Associate

Hello,

Sorry for the long post, but I think detailed information will help you in providing maximum input!

I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 floor (Ground, 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) end terraced house, with 7 Gas Radiators in the property. The house is 30 years old.

Previously we had an old system where there was no separate control for Heating and Hot Water; so whenever the boiler was turned on, it used to heat up the water and the gas radiators at the same time.

That boiler was a Micron Glow-Worm 50FF, which we had for over 10 years.
All the Radiators had TRVs on them, and they used to work perfectly well. The property did not have a Room Thermostat though.

Recently (beginning of last week), we had a brand new Baxi 18HE A Boiler installed, along with 3 x radiators (the 3 being replaced were old and had pin holes in them), and new pipe work ( 2 primaries), which meant that Heating and Hot Water could be separated, and they could be controlled separately, on behalf of an Energy company by subcontractors, as part of the Government’s ECO legislation.

So the new system we have now is a Y Plan Sealed system (although with the old system we had an Expansion Vessel up in the loft).
The water and heating has been absolutely fine and we have familiarised ourselves with the new system without any problems, including the Room Thermostat.

Just to clarify please, the problem we are having is not related to the Room Thermostat, the Settings of the Digital Programmer etc, or our lack of understanding of the Room Thermostat, Thermostatic Radiator Valves or anything else.

2 out of the 3 new radiators are working fine as are the other 4 (old) radiators.
However ,there is a problem with one radiator (TRV), which was newly installed. The TRV on the radiator was brand new too.

When this radiator was turned on, just like the other radiators it came on and got warm, but used to then shut off permanently, without coming back on, while the other radiators continued to stay on throughout.

This particular radiator after reaching a certain temperature/warmth, just shut off and stayed off; even for hours without coming back on, while the Heating was still On and the other radiators remained on and remained warm.
If the TRV head is removed from this Radiator and Heating turned on, the radiator remains. I recently monitored it closely and kept the Heating on for a continuous 18 hours, and this radiator, without TRV head on, remained on and hot for this whole time.

When the Engineers that carried the work returned to our house they were baffled, saying a radiator should either come on or it shouldn’t, and to go off after a while (within 30 mins or so) after coming on didn’t make sense. They also realised that none of the other radiators were doing this, and only this particular radiator was showing this fault.

They changed the TRV Head and screwed it on loosely (which I later realised), making it appear that everything was working fine as the radiator stayed on constantly and didn’t shut off. But after I turned the TRV Head on and off, it came off, due to not being securely screwed on.

So, if the TRV Head is left off the radiator completely, the radiator stays on constantly as soon as the Heating is switched on. If the TRV Head is put on loosely – when you can just about turn it on and off before it would eventually fall off – the radiator would stay on.

I lost confidence in the Engineers that carried out the work, as I found their conduct unprofessional throughout and felt they lacked integrity, especially as they showed little consideration about the fact that I had an elderly and disabled mother in the house.

I invited a friend of mine, who is Gas Safety Registered, to have a look at it, and we both agreed to begin with (I was especially keen to get some clarity and eliminate as many “possible” causes as there may be for this) that it would be a good idea to replace the whole TRV – TRV Head & TRV Body.

I wanted a brand new Danfoss TRV. After draining the radiator etc, he fitted the Danfoss TRV onto this radiator.

It soon became apparent that the radiator with the new Danfoss TRV on it was doing the exact same thing as before – it would come on, and after reaching a warm temperature, it would just shut off and stay off within 30 minutes of being turned on (less really), while the other radiators remained on and remained warm. So, the original (brand new) TVR Head & Body that were fitted to the new radiator in the firt place weren't faulty.

Just want to point out that this radiator in question is on the first floor, just above the Boiler on the ground floor kitchen.

My friend said that he had never come across anything like this.

His “theory” was that the pipes for this radiator were getting particularly hot and so was the radiator, quite quickly due to being directly above the boiler. He said that the Thermostatic Head was obviously “sensing” this temperature, finding it exceedingly hot and shutting the radiator off. He reduced the Heating temperature on the boiler and restricted (closed it quite a bit) the lockshield valve on the opposite side to the TRV. Neither of these things made a difference.

As quite an experienced and well respected Gas Engineer (Gas Safety Registered), he had never come across a situation like this and was at bit of a loss. His final suggestions were to consider replacing it with a Half Turn Valve (non thermostatic), as that will come on and off whenever we want and not be like the current one because of different technology.

His second suggestion was to move the TRV to the other side of the radiator, where the Lockshield is, and switch them around, in relation to something “technical” to do with the return pipe, but there is no guarantee this would work.

Hope you are still with me and I haven’t exhausted you by waffling too much!
*Does anyone know what is going on and why?
*Are the 2 options my friend suggested the only ones available to me?

I’ve been getting quite stressed about everything, which has upset my vulnerable mum too.

Thank you.

:smile5:

sound like faulty valve to me. they should replace it as changing head won't really help. can you move the pin freely up and down? call them back and ask them to replace trv. As you said they haven't tightened head on properly so it looked like its working but in fact trv was fully open.

sound like faulty valve to me. they should replace it as changing head won't really help. can you move the pin freely up and down? call them back and ask them to replace trv. As you said they haven't tightened head on properly so it looked like its working but in fact trv was fully open.

It's done it with a new valve as well though. I'd go with swapping ends initially and see how that works. Failing that a remote sensor TRV may be the solution.

Agree swap side of radiator first. Is the room with the suspect trv exposed to another heat source? Ie fire, wood burning stove or is it exposed to direct,sunlight?

The room with "suspect" TRV is not exposed to another heat source.

In fact this radiator (1400 x 450) in the bedroom, which is
about 15 sqm in size, is right next to the window (directly below
window ledge). It's at the end of the room, centrally located.

I don't know if this information helps, but this radiator
is one of the 3 that was replaced (1400 x 450), and the previous radiator was about 1400 x 600 in size and 30 years old.They put this size in for their own convenience
really, as the subcontractors including material order/delivery
was all over the place.

Although, the system (pipe work), boiler and size of radiator (don't know if relevant) previously
was different, in the same room, under the same conditions, we never
had any problems with the old radiator or the TRV - always worked
perfectly without any problems.

Also a 3 Port Valve has been fitted above the new Baxi boiler.

The Airing cupboard is on the 2nd floor (top floor, opposite side of the bedroom in question). This is where the Cylinder is. The Automatic
Bypass that was fitted is in here as well.

The new Danfoss TRV that has been fitted is Bidirectional.

The system wasn't balanced by them when they completed the work, but was after
they revisited. Made no difference to this radiator in question.

My Gas Engineer mate also addressed the balancing issue again, but the problem with this radiator continued.

Rather than get stressed why not let your mate swap the stat to the other side see if that resolves it ... If you need it to be thermostatic you can get a TRV with remote sensor that fits away from the radiator.

Rad Pic2.jpgRad Pic1.jpgRad Pic3.jpg

Like the above post.
Forget how hot the radiator is. Is the room up to about 23 to 25 degrees. If it is the trv is doing its job.

Looking at the pictures it could just be the heat rising from the pipes below causing the trv to shut. Try wrapping an old blanket around the pipes to insulate them and see if it makes a difference.

If it does then you are looking at fitting a TRV with a remote sensor or insulating and boxing the pipes.

Try swapping the head of any working rad with the problem one.
Does the problem follow the head?Could be a batch of faulty TRV heads.
What setting do you have the valve on? if its max may as well remove it.
Put a thermometer near the TRV to see when it shuts down and opens.
Lastly an external TRV sensor as the pipes across skirting boards giving extra heat around trv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRV Continuously Shutting Radiator Off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock