Search the forum,

Discuss TWO PLUMBERS CANNOT RESOLVE A PROBLEM in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several hours studying my hot water system. My flat has a vented hot water system supplying hot water to the kitchen and bathroom taps. The pump is a Stuart Turner type. There is, as you would expect, a cold water tank above the hot water tank. The cold water tank was refurbished by a plumber three years ago at which time a new hot water tank was installed. The pump was not changed as it worked fine and was several years old at the time the system was refurbished.

The system has worked well since it was refurbished until recently when both hot and cold water was stopped. A plumber was called and a new pump was fitted as the old one had apparently burnt out. A few days later and no hot water. The same plumber came back and diagnosed that a new flange was required which was fitted. A few days later, no hot water and the plumber revisited and diagnosed that the non return valve fitted to the pipework needed to be removed. A few days later, the plumber said that a senior plumber needed to inspect the system which occurred without any conclusion as to the actual problem. At this time, a Stuart Turner accredited plumber was invited to inspect and it was found that there was some insulation in the hot water tank which was causing a blockage in the pump. This was cleaned out and the plumber said that the hot water tank needed to be drained and cleaned out. This occurred today but the plumber left not understanding the reason why there is a fault. The fault being no hot water. Apparently air is somehow entering the system which has to be regularly bled otherwise no hot water.

I would appreciate any advice on what could possibly be wrong since two different firms have already investigated without any success, including a senior plumber.

Attachments

• IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 36
Picture of f the top of the cylinder so you can see the cylinder and cold tank

Also what’s with the different flexi on the hot side of the pump (outgoing)

Need to remove the nrv on the cold feed to the cylinder doesn’t need one

Picture of f the top of the cylinder so you can see the cylinder and cold tank

Also what’s with the different flexi on the hot side of the pump (outgoing)

Need to remove the nrv on the cold feed to the cylinder doesn’t need one
Thanks for your comments and please see further photos. Hope this helps as non technical.

Attachments

• Monsoon-Universal-21269-IG.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
Garage door closer and a car charger ?

Need to see the top of the cylinder also your first set of pictures are different to the current set which ones are correct ?

Need to see the top of the cylinder also your first set of pictures are different to the current set which ones are correct ?
Well spotted! The problem is that I am not currently living at the property and allow access through an agent. The current photos are these. The other photos are post refurbishment approx three years ago. The current photos show the recently fitted new pump and the rather cluttered photo was taken today. I will be able to obtain further photos soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpeg
    IMG_3353.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 20
Well spotted! The problem is that I am not currently living at the property and allow access through an agent. The current photos are these. The other photos are post refurbishment approx three years ago. The current photos show the recently fitted new pump and the rather cluttered photo was taken today. I will be able to obtain further photos soon.
Found it!

Attachments

• 71796734401__ACAF709A-4099-4046-9D39-D96B676A8A49.jpeg
    71796734401__ACAF709A-4099-4046-9D39-D96B676A8A49.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 23
Looks a bit of a pigs ear but it should work

Define no hot water no water out the hot tap or just runs cold etc ?

The water is as cold from both hot and cold taps. What is interesting is that the hot tap initially has a second of normal cold water flow, followed by a thin jet, then drops with almost no flow. Also, following the plumber’s visit yesterday during which the hot tank was drained and flushed, hot water flowed from the hot tap as expected so happy days. Let’s see if this continues in the coming days as the plumber said yesterday that he was pretty much perplexed!

All hot taps: a second or two of cold water in the morning, followed by a thin jet, drops and then no water at all. The plumber yesterday drained the hot tank and flushed it out. This morning, hot water flowing as it should. Let’s see if this continues in the days ahead.

Prior to this, air had to be bled from the system every morning to enable hot water flow. Seems like air is entering the system somehow and possibly this is the reason for no hot water flow?

Reply to TWO PLUMBERS CANNOT RESOLVE A PROBLEM in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock