Search the forum,

Discuss undergound drainage woes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HYH

This forum seems a best place as any to post since my googling for this issue and others has often brought me here.

I'm having problems with an underground clay drain pipe and I don't know the best way to proceed now, so I thought it best to try and get some experienced opinions.

I have drain rods with a plunger attached which has become stuck in this underground clay drainage pipe. There is no movement whatsoever. It cannot be twisted (clockwise!) and no amount of brute force will see any movement at all. I had been rodding the pipe as I believed there was a partial blockage allowing water but not other waste to pass through from the soil stack which connects to it serving the new bathroom upstairs and new toilet downstairs. I am unsure how far the rods have gone through the pipe but I can estimate by checking how many rods have been used and how many should have been in the entire pack.

This means the new bathroom and new toilet cannot be used, so I cannot remove the old downstairs bathroom at the back of the house until this is resolved. I have been putting it off because I seem to be getting nowhere except the joy of frustration, and so have been getting on with other things instead, but at this point I do have to get this sorted as the old bathroom really needs to be gone now.

In attempt to figure out how the rod is stuck without paying a fortune for professional drain inspection with a rod camera and removing the rods one way or another, I purchased a USB powered 10m endoscope but because it is only a flex power cable I've tied it to a nylon cord to try and feed the camera through the underground pipe. Unfortunately it is still hard to direct, and reaches a point where it will go no further (although I think this is because the nylon cord is folding back on itself). Even if the rod is removed, I still need to determine what is causing the partial blockage, i.e. is it just a load of crap in there (which is likely, as an old and completely blocked 1m+ section of cast iron soil stack was removed previously), or is there also a possible collapsed section of the drain?!

So now I feel I'm left with the prospect of either:

1) Paying for someone to inspect with their professional cameras, determine how the rod is stuck, remove it, and then further inspect with the camera to determine if the drain is blocked/damaged/etc, and possibly use high-pressure rod jets to clear a blockage. I have no idea how much any of this could cost and would like an idea of best and worst case scenarios. Note: if a section of drain is damaged I will probably replace this myself once I know.

2) Estimate where the end of the rods and the plunger is, and break through the concrete, dig down until reaching the pipe, cut out a section and hope it is near or at the end of the rods. Get the rods dislodged, and then feed in my camera in each direction from the removed section of pipe (I believe it is just one long straight run ~5m of pipe) to determine if or where there is damage/blockage. Once the problem is resolved, replace the section of cut out pipe and possibly any additional damaged pipe.

This is currently the bane of my life, and my finances are really low right now.

All camera will tell you is that drains blocked.
And then u still need to dig down.

Dig it out. Replace.

Any trees? Roots or dislodged collar. Use 3m lengths of plastic not 6 as the belly.

you have a broken drain so it needs digging out anyhow, buy a spade n pick axe and have a rewarding weekend.

No point in paying for someone to tell you that the drain is broken which you already know. As previous poster says, you've got your weekend work cut out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to undergound drainage woes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock