Discuss Unrestrained lateral length in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I recently bought a tenement flat in Edinburgh which has never had gas but is in a stair with a gas supply. Following a survey I have been told I cannot be connected due to new regulations. A boxed in water main is beside the gas main pipe in the stair and impedes the instalation of a 505mm "unrestrained lateral length" of pipe. It therefore cannot be done. I was told this policy relates to "IGEM G5 industry standard". I am wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues and has any suggestions for potential remedies?Screenshot_20230512_095004_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Who told you this ?

Not something I’ve heard of, but I don’t work on incoming pipelines. I would need to read Igem G5 Or speak with them.

Edit: I’ve just been onto Igem’s website for G5 and it appears some amendments were made in April of this year, I would definitely be seeking clarification. A lot seems to have been from Grenfell Tower Incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's due to change of regs in Multi Occupant / High Rise following Grenfell, probably relating to gas supplies in escape routes.
I can't see reference to 505mm but here's an amendment, it refers to figure 6 which isn't included,
Maybe the 505mm was in an earlier amendment,

There's a second amendment included in the PDF but that's not relevant,

Last edited:
SGN engineer. Apparently its new regulations, end of last year I think. A new connection requires a straight length of 505mm (length differs slightly depending on which floor your on). He said it is causing lots of issues and he has had to re-survey lots of approved surveys where the work isn't complete yet.

Sounds like a problem for them and not the new owner as they own the gas main

Reply to Unrestrained lateral length in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
A plumber recently told me my bypass pipework is poorly designed as it’s offering a low path of resistance v the motorised valve T junctions, and...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi all I am a first time poster, and would be very grateful please for advice. We purchased and moved into a property two weeks ago. I am...
Replies
Views
We live in a terraced row (SW London) and our neighbours are currently in the process of finalising their extension. There is a potential...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock