Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder Megaflow installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mouspof

Is it the law to require a G3 Certificate to install or touch an unvented cylinder?

Thanks.

Is it the law to require a G3 Certificate to install or touch an unvented cylinder?

Thanks.
Not law but against building regs, no biggie you say? Say that to a job I went to whose insurance won't pay out, due to he fitted it himself, but discharge was incorrect, backed up and flooded house via ceiling not nice, insurance companies are certainly employing more trade related staff to sniff this out, I saw their survey!

Everybody is cutting costs. Insurers look for anything these days. People think they can save a few quid. False economy when it all goes breasts up.

Not law but against building regs, no biggie you say? Say that to a job I went to whose insurance won't pay out, due to he fitted it himself, but discharge was incorrect, backed up and flooded house via ceiling not nice, insurance companies are certainly employing more trade related staff to sniff this out, I saw their survey!

Thanks, so there is no way building regs could pass an unvented cylinder without checking the plumbers credentials?

The paperwork submitted but the plumber or client should include the qualifications of the installer, you would imagine the first thing the council would do would be check they were relevant

if building regs arent based on law, then you wouldnt be able to be prosecuted for not complying with them!, so yes it is the law to be qualified to work on unvented systems, by a circuitous route though.

I would say they break the law (see below), G3 requires the person to be competent & goes on to say that this is done by holding the Certificate (hot water / part G ticket).
6.3 If a person carrying out building work contravenes the BuildingRegulations, the local authority or another person may decide totake them to the magistrates’ court where they could be fined upto £5000 for the contravention, and up to £50 for each day thecontravention continues after conviction (section 35 of the BuildingAct 1984). This action will usually be taken against the builder or main contractor, although proceedings must be taken within6 months of the offence (section 127 of the Magistrates CourtsAct 1980). Alternatively, or in addition, the local authority mayserve an enforcement notice on the owner requiring them to alteror remove work which contravenes the regulations (section 36of the 1984 Act). If the owner does not comply with the noticethe local authority has the power to undertake the work itselfand recover the costs of doing so from the owner. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/responsibilities/buildingregulations/failure

I would say they break the law (see below), G3 requires the person to be competent & goes on to say that this is done by holding the Certificate (hot water / part G ticket).
6.3 If a person carrying out building work contravenes the BuildingRegulations, the local authority or another person may decide totake them to the magistrates’ court where they could be fined upto £5000 for the contravention, and up to £50 for each day thecontravention continues after conviction (section 35 of the BuildingAct 1984). This action will usually be taken against the builder or main contractor, although proceedings must be taken within6 months of the offence (section 127 of the Magistrates CourtsAct 1980). Alternatively, or in addition, the local authority mayserve an enforcement notice on the owner requiring them to alteror remove work which contravenes the regulations (section 36of the 1984 Act). If the owner does not comply with the noticethe local authority has the power to undertake the work itselfand recover the costs of doing so from the owner. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/responsibilities/buildingregulations/failure

Yeah now you mention it Chris both Armley and Wakefield prisons near me have a full wing, next to the murders for people who have not not complied with BR.........seriously I do "wish" it was the case though lol

I think the difference is the criminal vs civil law.

No policeman is going to come round and arrest you for breaches of G3. That doesn't mean that you won't eventually find yourself in court, or with other serious issues, like being unable to insure or sell a property.

I think the difference is the criminal vs civil law.

No policeman is going to come round and arrest you for breaches of G3. That doesn't mean that you won't eventually find yourself in court, or with other serious issues, like being unable to insure or sell a property.
Yeah that's how i see it, and what has actually happened

Thanks.

Yes, building regs are law and you need to be qualified every 5 years and register the installation with building control.

I think you can get it signed off by building control for a fee.... £300 or there about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Cylinder Megaflow installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock