Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder/shower valve in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Steveo111

Hi All
I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the unvented to supply the shower feed and, because the unvented cylinder had no noticeable effect, the unvented cylinder rapidly fell into disuse. Disappointing.
My brother recently had an unvented cylinder fitted and his shower is now like wrestling an anaconda - marvellous! Lots of gushing hot water! So I have fallen to wondering about mine again.
I have 3 bar mains pressure and standard water pipes. The garden tap delivers about 11 litres per minute. Assuming the unvented cylinder is not faulty, is it most likely the shower valve that is reducing the flow to the shower head?
The valve is an exposed Bristan 'Sonique' (with flow reducers removed). My plumber (who is great with heating) just told me to choose a shower valve (so I did!) and I think that may be the problem.
Unfortunately the hot and cold shower feeds are set only 150mm apart and it seems only the Bristan will fit, so to change the valve the tiles will have to come off and the pipes adjusted etc., so it is a bit of a job.
I'd very much appreciate any comment on whether the valve is likely the problem (maybe a way to test it?) and what might be a suitable replacement exposed thermostatic valve (mid-range for cost and ideally with a lever) before I embarrass myself asking my plumber to swap the existing valve out(!)
Best regards.
Steve

150 centres is standard, probably 95% of shower valves .

If you only have 11 lpm incoming mains then that is all you will get out of your shower when fed by either a combi or an unvented cylinder.
Tbh it’s unusual to install an unvented on that poor a mains flow, most plumbers would advise against it below 20 lpm.

You either need to upgrade the mains supply, or fit accumulator and possibly pump set to see any improvement from your mains fed system.

Or go back to gravity stored water and pump from there.

Reply to Unvented cylinder/shower valve in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock