Discuss Unvented with no tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emergencyman

Hi all,

I have recently got a G3 ticket and realise unvented cylinder shouldn't be left in a dangerous condition, but what would you do if you serviced a 200l Megaflow which had no tundish. The D2 pipe ran in 22 straight from temp/ prv to outside over a distance of around 12m. Termination was less than 100mm but no cage.

Main concern is no tundish. D2 was dripping when I arrived ( air bubble gone ). Had it been winter it could have frozen.

I advised customer in writing it needs urgent attention. Was basically told been ok for last 8 years.

Thanks

Over a distance of 12m in 22mm pipe? And I suppose that doesn't allow for the extra distance for each bend? Highly wrong obviously and dangerous. Although hot water is hardly going to spew out of the tundish as there ain't one fitted! :smile:
No cage over the open ended pipe is also dangerous and a child could get potentially scalded.
Probably the best thing you should have done was NOT service it at all! Just check it all out and refuse to do any work unless they authorise you to fix the faults. After all, the unit cannot be serviced properly if you have to leave those serious faults.
If you mentioned all 3 things in writing you did well, but I would have also turned off the water to the unit and any heat sources - electric immersions or gas/oil and give that in writing to say you did this for safety and advise it not to be in use until all 3 points are rectified. Also do this by email and texts and a further letter so you have complete paper trail of your concern and advice. To hell with them if they just turn it all back on again, - you have done your bit and covered your bum.
Tbh, a lot I see are badly wrong. Funniest one was a D2 pipe reduced at tundish to 15mm and just stuck out of outside wall on house upper floor. To make matters worse the pressure relief valve had a lever valve screwed into its outlet! Thank goodness I wasn't working at it, but merely commenting on the install to the customer.
You should give the customer a link to Mythbusters video of exploding unvented cylinder when they say it has been ok for 8 years.

Last edited:
No tundish? Thats nothing!
Come back to us when you get one with no wiring ie. no zone valve or thermostat control and D1 D2 ran straight through in 15mm. :lol:
Done all you can do really. Cover yourself in writing.

Thanks for the advice.

As they say, you can lead your horse to water, but cannot make it drink.

Or as the Dalek said as it shagged the dustbin
" We all make mistakes".

But that's still no excuse for non compliance with building and water regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented with no tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. We bought a new build and after getting my boiler and unvented...
Replies
Views
I have come to my decision I might as well do my G3, even if only for maintenance jobs. Question I have is WHY we are fitting so many of these...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
www.dripbusters.co.uk/images/tundish.mov Anyone seen this happening on a Megaflow unvented cylinder tundish before? I serviced it a few days ago...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock