Discuss Vermiculite insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mchoa

Alright lads,

Working on a domestic project bringing heating flow/return, hws flow/return, boosted cold and mains cold in a trench from an external plantroom through the basement to the riser.

Its been suggested for the pipes to be insulated with foil faced phenolic foam and then covered over with vermiculite in the trench before a cover plate and floor finishes. Does this sound like a suitable solution and will the vermiculite add anything to the insulation. I've heard it will help stop the hot pipes heating the mains and boosted cold.

Thanks in advance

It'll certainly add something, not sure it'll add too much over and above the foam lagging but it's cheap, non-toxic and easy to install and if the client is happy to pay for it...

armaflex all the way

Vermiculite is a nuisance to work around later and maybe over the top for that job.
I would just use heavy Armaflex or whatever, and ideally keep cold and hot pipes in separate voids.
Vermiculite if it gets wet will absorb masses of water, so be aware of that.

Last edited:
Uponor pre-insulated pipe is excellent, but very expensive
I used it on a barn conversion where the boiler was around 20 m away from cylinder room
I think it came to around £1600 for 2 x 25m lengths of twin pipe

EDIT, actually I think it was £1600 each length

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vermiculite insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock