Discuss Very general question about working on gas pipes... in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A while before Christmas, we ended up needing the gas pipe feeding our gas hob moving a couple of inches to allow a new oven to slide in properly underneath..

I managed to find a local Gas Safe plumber to come out and do the job for a reasonable price. He explained in general terms what he proposed, and I left him to get on with it as I was working myself.

I know he ended up cutting and soldering a new bit of pipe on the gas supply, but I was wondering how you guys do that safely given your dealing with gas?

Do the pipes need purging before starting? As someone who has happily soldered normal 15mm & 22mm water pipes in the past, I have been curious about this for a while...

I have no intension of touching anything to do with gas, and this is just a very general question, so not looking for a "detailed how"...

Regards,

Peter

Pipes should be purged of gas at start. Its not a major job in a domestic setting. Gas pipes should be purged of air before relighting, again not a major job domestically.

Pipes should be purged of gas at start. Its not a major job in a domestic setting. Gas pipes should be purged of air before relighting, again not a major job domestically.
Thanks for that, much appreciated...I sort of assumed that would be how it was done, but wasn't sure...

In my case, the chap doing the work spent a bit of time going back and forth to the meter cupboard outside so I am guessing that's where he purged from...

Purely for interest, on large gas lines it is normal practice to purge with nitrogen before removing/replacing a section of gas line, the new section is then purged with nitrogen before admitting gas, this is to avoid a explosive mixture building up in the gas line. We used portable gas analyzers to check the gas content, these analyzers had two scales, 0 to 100% gas and 0 to 100% LEL (lower explosive limit) You first monitored on the 0 to 100% gas scale and then when the gas content fell to < 5% you changed to the 0 to 100% LEL scale, which is 0 to 100% of 5% and when this fell to 10 to 20%, (0.5% to 1% gas) the line was deemed safe to work on, or admit gas, after admitting gas you then purged with gas until the analyzer read 100% on the 0 to 100% gas scale. Gas has a flammable range of 5% to 15% (in air), it is not flammable if the concentration is below 5% or above 15%.

Last edited:

Reply to Very general question about working on gas pipes... in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock