Discuss Very high water consumption in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My kingdom for a pressure gauge on the HW cylinder, it would save a lot of hassle and expense for people if it was included as standard on all unvented HW Cylinders.
Your findings are very interesting in that your plumber saw the pressure rising/falling by 1.5 to 2.0 bar to 4.5bar, if, which seems the more likely explanation at the moment, it is flowinng back through the shower & HW cylinder expansion valve then down the tundish then it points to either the E.valve (or the cylinder safety valve) are gone weak and lifting at 4.5bar or the E.valve has been set too low, also if the HW cylinder PRV has been set to 2.8 to 3.0bar then the E.valve could lift each time a big volume of water is reheated, admittedly to only discharge ~ 4 or 5 litres each time. Also loosing say 400L at night through the HW cylinder should mean that the whole cylinder had to be reheated each morning from practically stone cold, did you notice anything strange about the heat up times?

My kingdom for a pressure gauge on the HW cylinder, it would save a lot of hassle and expense for people if it was included as standard on all unvented HW Cylinders.
Your findings are very interesting in that your plumber saw the pressure rising/falling by 1.5 to 2.0 bar to 4.5bar, if, which seems the more likely explanation at the moment, it is flowinng back through the shower & HW cylinder expansion valve then down the tundish then it points to either the E.valve (or the cylinder safety valve) are gone weak and lifting at 4.5bar or the E.valve has been set too low, also if the HW cylinder PRV has been set to 2.8 to 3.0bar then the E.valve could lift each time a big volume of water is reheated, admittedly to only discharge ~ 4 or 5 litres each time. Also loosing say 400L at night through the HW cylinder should mean that the whole cylinder had to be reheated each morning from practically stone cold, did you notice anything strange about the heat up times?

No I hadn't noticed anything about the heat up times. This is the first time we have had this system and the first we knew about a problem was when the water company commented that we are using very large amounts of water.

Well really all the showers etc. mixer taps should of been taken off the Balance cold on the Combination Valve on the cylinder to prevent this. The easiest way to sort this would be either fit a PRV on the incoming main to 3 bar, or fit a Non return valve to the Hot Outlet on the cylinder.

No I hadn't noticed anything about the heat up times. This is the first time we have had this system and the first we knew about a problem was when the water company commented that we are using very large amounts of water.
There's one thing worse than throwing large amounts of water down the drain and that's... throwing large amounts of hot water down the drain! :) I suggest you read your meter(s) now so you can compare consumption of gas before and after fixing the problem.

Now you've found a decent plumber, make sure he gives the system a thorough checking-over. I'd try to get a written note of his name, company, and findings so if you want to reclaim the cost of the wasted water and/or gas from the landlord you have the evidence needed to do so.

Well really all the showers etc. mixer taps should of been taken off the Balance cold on the Combination Valve on the cylinder to prevent this. The easiest way to sort this would be either fit a PRV on the incoming main to 3 bar, or fit a Non return valve to the Hot Outlet on the cylinder.
Apparently there is a PRV installed on the mains after the stopcock with a PG after it, the plumber found the PRV full open with a apparent mains pressure of 6.0/6.5bar but its a bit strange that this faulty shower was causing the pressure to fall to 4.5bar with it fully open, he has now reduced the PRV pressure to 3.5bar, if this pressure falls excessively with water usage then possibe PRV fault or stopcock or mains restriction that was the reason for the PRV wide opening in the first place and the installation of a pressure gauge?.

Is the water consumption normal now?

Apologies for the radio silence for a while. I've been busy at work and had to work all weekend.

I've been busy taking meter readings most days and especially keeping an eye on overnight readings when we were losing the largest volumes of water. I wanted to ensure that the readings actually reflect our usage so I have been logging each use and then comparing them to the meter reading usage. So far the usage matches the meter readings so this does look like this problem is now fixed. I am continuing to take readings just to ensure they are all good. If all is now good the landlord said he will get the shower fixed as well. He has at least now listened to the evidence and the plumbers findings so has agreed that the problem is not the meter at fault.

Thanks for all the help with getting to the bottom of this. It was very frustrating trying to prove the usage was not from our use but the last plumber was great and saw for himself the constant water usage. It was such a relief when he found the cause of the problems.

Question now is, who should pay me back for all the water that was used that was not our fault.

Question now is, who should pay me back for all the water that was used that was not our fault.

Consult your household insurance, but I'm pretty sure my policy wouldn't cover your scenario. I think that the landlord is the only person you have a claim against. (They, in turn, might be able to pursue the builder of the house.) Seek advice from a solicitor or Citizen's advice before making a claim.

Your landlord will probably assert that they are only responsible for the losses that occurred after you notified them of the problem, which is a position I have some sympathy for but which may or may not be how the law would see it.

It may be worth seeing if the water supplier will give you a rebate. I think this would be discretionary on their part but given the efforts you had to go to identify and fix the leak they might play ball.

Citizens Advice is a charitable organisation. If you consult them and can afford to make a donation, please do so.

I would ask the water company to consider a lost water allowance

You could thank the water company for bringing the high water usage to your attention. Explain what has been done to resolve the problem. It might help to inform the water company that you are a tenant.

Good luck.

This was a new build so possibly not installed correctly as the cold water supply to the HW cylinder was/is not from the balanced cold connection on the combination valve set, and the HW expansion valve may not have been set correctly to 6.0 bar or it was reduced to 3.5/4.0 bar, it certainly looks as if it wasn't commissioned properly, if at all, the mains PRV was fully opened with the stopcock left throttled in.

Reply to Very high water consumption in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
I have a seemingly impossible problem. I am not a plumber but I can at least understand some of it. We have just had the Water Board inspector...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock