Search the forum,

Discuss Very slow fill of cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cheesenbranston

The fill on my toilet is very slow, I have found that If I take the lid off the cistern and lift the shut-off arm? and release a couple of times and release I can make it flow faster. There is also water escaping from the top of the fill valve assembly, this continues after the water has shut-off. I've removed the top of the fill assembly, and found a black diaphragm/gasket inside. When I handle the diaphragm a lot of black residue is left on my hands.

I have posted pictures of the cistern assembly and diaphragm here.
https://plus.google.com/photos/1012...s/6028808660204370993?authkey=CK_coYPixKz62QE

As far as I can tell it is an Armitage Shanks bottom fill assembly

I was hoping someone would be able to confirm whether or not replacing this diaphragm will fix the problem, and also if it is the assembly I think it is.

Thanks
Matt

For what a new washer costs, I would replace that first. Fixes most of time but not all. May even just need washer cleaning of scale, although I would say if your going to take it out may as well replace it.

If not then you have lost a couple quid and you can put a new inlet valve in

You must have a cold water storage tank for the toilet cistern to fill slowly? Either that or perhaps the valve feeding the cistern might be partially shut.

Replace washer for a couple quid and while you have it out clean any debri (if there is) in the orifice, defo wont do any harm and 80% thats your fault fixed,

For what a new washer costs, I would replace that first. Fixes most of time but not all. May even just need washer cleaning of scale, although I would say if your going to take it out may as well replace it.

If not then you have lost a couple quid and you can put a new inlet valve in

Many thanks for getting back so quickly.
Just to confirm when you talk about a washer, is that what I've been calling a diaphragm i.e. the black rubber thing with the red plastic valve, as shown in pics 2 and 3 that I linked to? It does seem to be perishing. When I look in the top of the inlet valve, I can see a red insert which seems to be made of hard plastic. I don't see any other washers.

Cheers

duplicate post removed

Last edited by a moderator:
You must have a cold water storage tank for the toilet cistern to fill slowly?
Not as far as I know it's a small flat in a tenement with no loft space, certainly not something I've seen
Either that or perhaps the valve feeding the cistern might be partially shut.
There's a stopcock about 30cm down the feed pipe to cistern, I've been opening and closing it as I investigate and test. If the flow is very slow I can improve it by pushing the float arm up, to fully close the valve, then releasing it. It may take a couple of wiggles before I get a proper flow again.

Cheers

Thanks all, I'll pick up the part and give it a go. Will give anything that looks like it needs it a bit of a clean too. It may take a few days, but will let you know the outcome.

Just a small tip, before you put new diaphragm washer in open the stopcock ever so slightly and flush through any debris sitting in valve body

The part arrived this morning, ÂŁ2.49 delivered next day!, have fitted, and everything now working like a charm. Thanks for the help and tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Very slow fill of cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have I blend valve from Nu-Heat ( they bought it from Reliance, as per attached spec). I have dismantled the valve now 3 times and replaced it with new components from Nu-Heat but the valve is not working properly. The valve replacement seems very simple with 4 main components and some...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me what type of diaphragm this is and where I could get one please? The cistern was taking ages to fill up. I have tried Plumbers merchants and screwfix but they didnt have the same type. Also, on my other toilet, that was taking forever to fill up aswell so I removed the...
Replies
Views
Hello, does anyone know of a side fill valve that works in very low pressure situations? I installed two separate new side fill valves on my concealed cistern today, a Fluidmaster and a Dudley, both didn't seal properly. From reading reviews and forums it looks like it's due to the very low...
Replies
Views
Dear All, My cistern started making 'spraying' noises and became slow to fill when flushed. Looked at the diaphragm washer and noticed a split. Bought a new washer and replaced old one. With the new washer, the water flows just fine but the flow won't shut off. Put the old (split) washer back...
Replies
Views
I have an issue with my concealed Ideal Standard Conceala cistern Just don't seem to be able to fix this - the problem is intermittently that the inlet valve will dribble, making a hissing noise. It's been doing this for a while and assumed it was because the syphon seal was leaking very...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock