Search the forum,

Discuss Warning about Hilti in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Tools in general are good, but if you get a duff one expect to be ignored by their rep when you try to resolve the issue. We have a duff TE7-C corded hammer drill. It has been causing problems chasing out walls for a while now, already been back once for repair. The tool is 5 months old.

We have asked for a replacement tool as the same fault has cropped up again.

They are ignoring our requests so we are about to start small claims court action.

I wanted everyone to be aware of this so that if you are thinking of purchasing Hilti tools you think twice about it!

I for one will never spend another penny again with them.

Tools in general are good, but if you get a duff one expect to be ignored by their rep when you try to resolve the issue. We have a duff TE7-C corded hammer drill. It has been causing problems chasing out walls for a while now, already been back once for repair. The tool is 5 months old.

We have asked for a replacement tool as the same fault has cropped up again.

They are ignoring our requests so we are about to start small claims court action.

I wanted everyone to be aware of this so that if you are thinking of purchasing Hilti tools you think twice about it!

I for one will never spend another penny again with them.
Useless rep, go above.

my ones ace, hes dropped a core drill off to me a few times, i only get drill bits and cuttings disks off him usually

I had a TE-80 ....lasted 12 months with not to heavy use before gearing went, load of trosh in my opinion wouldnt bother with them anymore.

Well that's 9 months more than mine to be honest. The rep has finally got back in touch today they are asking me to send it back to head office for an inspection...

I have told them it is being formally rejected and they can do what they want once it goes back, because it will be there property.

Tis a shame because their cordless drill and impact driver we bought are 2 of the best tools I've ever used.

Seems that their drills suck now. I would be interested to know what the country of manufacture is for their drills tbh.

Big big believer in hilti. Got alot of there tools. Never had problems like your saying im not denying its happening but think its a bad rep. Go into the shop and speak to them guys.

Don't you think your first comment was a little slanderous and should now be removed

Also. We haven't heard hilti's side of the story

You wouldn't like it if a customer of yours was on here slagging you off.

I'm a firm believer in complaining. But don't tar everyone with the same brush. I'm sure hilti will put this right

Not really. At the time we wrote it they were ignoring our requests to resolve the issue and had been for 2 weeks. It was 100% factually correct. 3 weeks on now and the situation is still not resolved.

I am having to fight tooth and nail to get them to deliver basic customer service tbh.

Well that's 9 months more than mine to be honest. The rep has finally got back in touch today they are asking me to send it back to head office for an inspection...

I have told them it is being formally rejected and they can do what they want once it goes back, because it will be there property.

Tis a shame because their cordless drill and impact driver we bought are 2 of the best tools I've ever used.

Seems that their drills suck now. I would be interested to know what the country of manufacture is for their drills tbh.

Hi Keiran

1) Did you buy it directly from Hilti? If you bought it from a dealer, then your contract is with the dealer, and it is to them that you must look for recompense.

2) Remember that you have bought this in the course of your business, so therefore none of the consumer protections apply. You only have the law of contract to fall back on.

Ray

Hi Ray. It was purchased direct from Hilti. I had a nosy around and it appears that the Sale of Goods Act 1979 still applies to businesses as long as the wholesaler T&C's don't limit your rights under it?

I've read the applicable T&C's and there is nothing in there as far as I an see limiting my rights under said act?

Does that sound about right to you?

Cheers for the help.

Should have put this in open forum and done a you tube video saying there drill and customer service is bad. I wonder how long it would have taken them to sort it out then?

Hi Ray. It was purchased direct from Hilti. I had a nosy around and it appears that the Sale of Goods Act 1979 still applies to businesses as long as the wholesaler T&C's don't limit your rights under it?

I've read the applicable T&C's and there is nothing in there as far as I an see limiting my rights under said act?

Does that sound about right to you?

Cheers for the help.

Hi Keiran. The fact that you bought it from Hilti is obviously an excellent start, because it establishes a contract. I would be surprised if they don't have something in their ts and cs. We have a clause in ours that says "Williams' reasonable opinion as to the cause of a defect shall be final and binding unless the customer can provide conclusive proof to the contrary"

Two different firms of solicitors also reckon that it will pass the "unfair contract terms" test, so long as we stick to B2B with no retail.

You are right that they core provisions of the 1979 act can be argued even in a B2B sale, but I don't recommend it. The courts will not treat you the same way as they will a consumer, and many of the additional protections are specifically removed (like the distance selling regs for example).

If you are a consumer, in effect there is a presumption that you are right, and its up to the supplier to prove otherwise. This does not apply to businesses.

We have a clause in ours that says "Williams' reasonable opinion as to the cause of a defect shall be final and binding unless the customer can provide conclusive proof to the contrary"

why do you only have to provide a reasonable opinion but they have to provide conclusive proof?

Hi Ray. I have read through their one page of T&C's and I can't see anything in there limiting my rights under the Sale of Goods or Supply of Goods And Services Acts. Please would you cast an eye over them when you have a spare couple of minutes? I am sure you are more of an expert in this area than I.

Thanks!

Hi Ray. I have read through their one page of T&C's and I can't see anything in there limiting my rights under the Sale of Goods or Supply of Goods And Services Acts. Please would you cast an eye over them when you have a spare couple of minutes? I am sure you are more of an expert in this area than I.

Thanks!

Hi Keiran.

Have a read of clause 12.2

You have to prove the problem to their reasonable satisfaction

And once you have done that, they get to decide, at their absolute discretion, whether to repair, replace or refund.

I would be very confident defending those terms and conditions.

I would suggest trying other tactics than legal threats that I don't think you can see through.

I can't speak for Hilti, but I know how I react. If I get a stroppy barrack room lawyer yelling at me, I tend to get defensive and tell them to shove it. On the other hand, if I get someone being calm, reasonable and persuasive, then my natural desire to sort problems out and keep customers happy comes to the fore.

why do you only have to provide a reasonable opinion but they have to provide conclusive proof?

Because it was our lawyer that drafted them!

Sometimes customers (particularly large contractors) try to impose their terms of purchase on us, and they are equally one sided. We just tell them we are very sorry but we can't accept orders on that basis. Easy for us, because we don't rely on contract business.

At the end of the day, the relationship between supplier and customer shouldn't descend to legalities. Whilst I will occasionally point them out to people, if I find myself arguing with a customer about our terms and conditions then its because I have already decided that I am happy to lose that customer, and possibly all of his friends. Otherwise its best to find some common ground and try to find a decent compromise.

In our game, reputation for fair dealing is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Warning about Hilti in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
S
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts? Combi Logic 30 Boiler - constant pressure loss - no obvious leaking. Few years ago we got an error code indicating pressure was below minimum. We resolved ourselves by using the manual and topping up per the guide. Sometime later, in some really cold...
Replies
Views
I apologise in advance that this might not make sense or be full of silly/obvious questions, but I am a novice at all this! We have recently knocked through from our kitchen to a new extension to create an opening. Various things have been moved from the wall that was knocked through, including...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a Heatmiser UFH installation, 7-8 years old now. This week we noticed that a few of our heating zones were not warming up, even though the thermostat was showing the flame symbol. They were working fine last winter. I knew from when I looked at the installation in the past that...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock