Search the forum,

Discuss Waste hole in porcelain tiles ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert large

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've unwittingly landed a PITA job involving drilling many holes in porcelain tiles.
Anyone know if I can drill a holes for a basin waste through them using a dry diamond core drill please ?
I suspect not but someone may tell me different. Cheers.

Wouldnt fancy that myself. Have a look at the forum sponsor.

If I have to do that quite a simple trick is to grind out the back of the tile where you are going to drill by a good few mm so you only have to drill a hole through maybe 4mm of tile if that makes sense.

I suspect it is going to need a flat faced diamond hole cutter and a jig for to guide the hole cutter. So 365 drills would have the cutters

If I have to do that quite a simple trick is to grind out the back of the tile where you are going to drill by a good few mm so you only have to drill a hole through maybe 4mm of tile if that makes sense.

I do that to but slightly differently grind out all the way through then past the end of where the hole is needed then knock the last bits out with a ball ended hammer

Yup, Porsadrill will go through ANYTHING! Need slightly deep pockets now, I put ÂŁ40 on all bathrooms for drill bits nowadays....

Thanks for all the replies.
The shower room has already been tiled by someone else so in view of the likely cost to be incurred on special drills, which I doubt I'd get back, I think I'll throw it back to the tiler & say I'll fit the waste if he drills the hole for it.
I normally state on the estimate that I won't work with porcelain wall tiles but forgot to do so on this occasion. I accept they're needed for floors but can't see the need for them on walls.

For me, it's come to a point where I assume every tile is going to be a porcelain tile.

Now I make an allowance on all jobs for drill bits and time taken to drill holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Waste hole in porcelain tiles ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock