Discuss Water coming in flue pipe after boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James2218

Hello,

British Gas installed our new boiler. After stormy weather it became apparent that water gets into the flue pipe. It has an opening to allow air to get in. Unfortunately, it also lets in rain water, which is driven in by the wind. British Gas so far have said it is a fault with the manufacturers pipes, and that pottertons do not manufacture anything that will prevent water from being blown into this opening.

Does anyone please have any experience in dealing with this issue? I'd be very grateful for any information. At this rate the wall will be severely damaged. We already have to have dehumidifying machines on 24 hours a day!

switch boiler off,get gassafe engineer to have a look.your discrpition of fault is to vague,why do you need de humidifyer.the flues are designed to fall back to allow condesate water produced, to run throu boiler and out vai con pipe

switch boiler off,get gassafe engineer to have a look.your discrpition of fault is to vague,why do you need de humidifyer.the flues are designed to fall back to allow condesate water produced, to run throu boiler and out vai con pipe

We need a humidifier because rain water is getting into the boiler and then into the walls. The walls are damp. The humidifier is in at the request of British Gas, who have been out to see about the problem, but don't seem to be able to solve it.

We need a humidifier because rain water is getting into the boiler and then into the walls. The walls are damp. The humidifier is in at the request of British Gas, who have been out to see about the problem, but don't seem to be able to solve it.
sounds like the water is running back to the wall as the flue falls back wards
on condensing boilers but if wall is made good surely it shouldnt penetrate any rain going into the flue would be dealt with like condensate
unless its getting sucked in the air duct but that shouldnt leak
love to hear more details of this ? pictures?
i think i would contact pottertons see what they say failing that i would be asking BG for a different boiler as this is obviously not fit for pupose
your consumer rights lie with BG

Last edited:
As you are in British Gas hands,I feel confident all will turn out well :eek:

You have to have confidence in our great British Institutions :eek:

If I had a pound for every potterton boiler that I have come across with the same problem and had a humidifier next to it ,I would be a.......... ,well I would be a poor man actually,coz never heard or seen the problem before :confused:

Must go, jackanory is coming on,its about daddy getting in the boiler manufactorers,explaining the problem and letting them kick bid silly companies back side :eek:

I have been called out to job before where boiler had fried the PCB, turned out leaking gutter was chucking water onto flue pipe and it was running down the air inlet into boiler.

fixed gutter and replaced PCB and all was fine.

Have you checked angle of flue is not too steep?

I have been called out to job before where boiler had fried the PCB, turned out leaking gutter was chucking water onto flue pipe and it was running down the air inlet into boiler.

fixed gutter and replaced PCB and all was fine.

Have you checked angle of flue is not too steep?

3 degrees, a woman in need!:rolleyes:
are you sure the brick work is pointed or filled where the pipe enters?.
pull the collar back and take a look.
or tell them to fit a plume kit to change out put direction away from ambient weather. tight asses.

3 degrees, a woman in need!:rolleyes:
are you sure the brick work is pointed or filled where the pipe enters?.
pull the collar back and take a look.
or tell them to fit a plume kit to change out put direction away from ambient weather. tight asses.

I dont think it is the outlet side that will be causing the issue here, more likely to be coming in through the outer, inlet, side of the flue. A plume managment kit would not help this.

Hi James

just wondering if you found the problem with your boiler
it sounded more like a sealing problem between the wall and the flue outlet to me

Derry

Help, we have the same problem with condenser boiler. We got up this morning, after wind and rain, and found water flooded under the boiler, and still dripping down from the front of the boiler. The flue outside is angled up, so when we get rain with the wind in certain direction it floods in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water coming in flue pipe after boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock