Search the forum,

Discuss Water constantly heating up whenever central heating is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jwelch

Hi,

i have a very old boiler system that is currently playing up. Initially the central heating would periodically not come on even though it was set to on the main control. Leaving for an hr or so then retrying it would normally bring it on. Typically when the engineer came out to it, it worked fine every time he tried it. When I explained the issue the only thing he could think it would be is a valve sometimes not switching across from hot water to central heating (the hot would always work if the central heating didn't).

More recently the hot water will heat up whenever the heating is switched on, even though the hot water is set to off. I have been wondering if it is the valve that is faulty and is now stuck open on both hot water and heating. I've tried switching between hot water and heating to see if I can reset something but no luck. Tried switching between, timed/once only and off for the hot water and is now set to off but still the water is heating up whenever the heating is on.

My main question is, could this be dangerous if the water is heating all the time? (for up to 6 hours non stop on an evening) I can keep running the hot water off so it's not too hot but this is a pain and a real waste. I will call the engineer out to it again but want to make sure I am ok to leave the hot water on in the mean time.

All help appreciated
James

Your valve is stuck in mid position. If output on boiler is controlled by knob 1 - 5 set knob at 2.
If you have a roomstat, set at 20 C and open rad valves to maximum. Your boiler should now cycle on and off without unduly overheating DHW cylinder.
An alternative is to remove head of 3 port valve and move spindle by hand. This involves live electrics and unless confident the 1st method is best until plumber can fix valve.

Thank you loads for the reply. The only knob I can see on the boiler is the boiler temp knob (1-3) this is currently set at 1.5

I do have the thermostat at 20 with the rad valves at maximum. The boiler has always 'thumped' on and off if this is what you mean?

Being cold is also dangerous if there are young children or elderly in the home. If turning knob down to 1 gives sufficient heat do so, but don't be cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water constantly heating up whenever central heating is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock