Search the forum,

Discuss Water constantly trickling after being flushed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Meaner4u

Hello,

In our area heard that a pipe was broken and being fixed. Now the water pressure of the bath, sink is not so so strong. Also flushed the toliet and there is a constant water trickling down. I took a look inside and once one flushes the toliet watched the water rise from inside the cistern it just skims over the I am not sure I am using the right word here the overflow part, (red tube) - just slightly. I will have not yet made adjustments to the value. I put my hand inside and the rubber piece feels find - nothing blocking it there. If the sink, bath pressure are affected feel the problem may lie in elsewhere - the valve??

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 28
Do you mean that a water mains in your road / street has recently been repaired ?
Did you loose your supply ?

If so it is likely that this has resulted in small particles or sediments, sand or rust being pushed up your supply which is effecting your plumbing systems. Contact your local Water Undertaker (supplier) they may be willing to send someone around otherwise a good plumber will need to check over the system & clean filters etc.

Same happened to me in my house actually, used the stopcock for the first time in years after turning it back on toilet started overflowing due to above mentioned reason!

Examine washer and seating in float valve, this is where particle of grit will reside.

That looks to be a Fluidmaster fill valve ( the black valve in left of photo). They are fairly reliable and likely dirt is on its washer. It's a bit awkward if you are not used to it. The head of it turns to lift off. Also better to detach the lid.

As Best says, it's a fluidmaster fill valve. They have an easy (although fiddly) cleaning method. Turn the water off, carefully remove the rod that raises and lowers to operate the valve - it should just pop out of where it attaches to the top.
Then turn the top cap 1/8th of a turn and it should lift off.
Hold it 2 cm above its current position and turn the water back on for a few seconds. Water will shoot up from the stem into the cap - be careful of splashes.
Turn water off and reassemble the valve.
Turn water back on.
Sorted.

As Best says, it's a fluidmaster fill valve. They have an easy (although fiddly) cleaning method. Turn the water off, carefully remove the rod that raises and lowers to operate the valve - it should just pop out of where it attaches to the top.
Then turn the top cap 1/8th of a turn and it should lift off.
Hold it 2 cm above its current position and turn the water back on for a few seconds. Water will shoot up from the stem into the cap - be careful of splashes.
Turn water off and reassemble the valve.
Turn water back on.
Sorted.

Put a cup upside down over the end to stop you squirting your ceiling :biggrin:

Thank you to all for your good advice.
It turns out the water board guys were up in the area - not sure what they did but it did fix the problem - water now just level with the, (sorry still calling this part) the red tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water constantly trickling after being flushed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My toilet flushes ok when the long flush button is pressed - but water continues to flow into the toilet bowl. No problems with the short flush. I...
Replies
Views
I have a ROS small faucet for drinking water. The main faucet in the kitchen works find. I recently replaced the main faucet but after...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to the group and need advice with my Vitra ts823. The toilet stopped flushing and there is water constantly trickling inside it. I've...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock