Search the forum,

Discuss Water filled towel rail overheating in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a water filled towel rail which has been working for several years.
It is now getting very hot and making a noise.

Do these loose water over time and need topping up?
Could this be the problem or a faulty thermostats or element?

Any way to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

I have a similar towel rail, not with that fault, but it has lost a bit of water, and that part of the rad at the top with no water is much colder than lower down where the water is present. Also my rad does not make a kettling noise.
I suspect the integral thermostat in your heating element. Normally a straightforward job to change the whole element/thermostat with the rad turned upside-down!
PS is there a separate temperature control that is not part of the element assembly? A photo of that part of the heating element you can see would be helpful.

I have a similar towel rail, not with that fault, but it has lost a bit of water, and that part of the rad at the top with no water is much colder than lower down where the water is present. Also my rad does not make a kettling noise.
I suspect the integral thermostat in your heating element. Normally a straightforward job to change the whole element/thermostat with the rad turned upside-down!
PS is there a separate temperature control that is not part of the element assembly? A photo of that part of the heating element you can see would be helpful.
I have removed the thermostat.
It's a three pin plug in type.

Looked on line and can't see a replacement.

Any idea where I can get one?

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_103443335.jpg
    IMG_20221212_103443335.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221212_102022440.jpg
    IMG_20221212_102022440.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221212_103500308.jpg
    IMG_20221212_103500308.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 10
I have never seen one of those!

But here is one! NAUTI-TH-1 towel rail thermostat | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155292541626
Probably worth getting to try.

But I wonder if the faulty bit might still be in the immersion element still in the radiator?

If the above doesn't fix it, I suggest buying a replacement complete element assembly of your choice, and abandoning all of the original.
E.g. simple element with fixed temperature:
Or element with adjustable temperature:

I have never seen one of those!

But here is one! NAUTI-TH-1 towel rail thermostat | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155292541626
Probably worth getting to try.

But I wonder if the faulty bit might still be in the immersion element still in the radiator?

If the above doesn't fix it, I suggest buying a replacement complete element assembly of your choice, and abandoning all of the original.
E.g. simple element with fixed temperature:
Or element with adjustable temperature:
Appreciate your reply.
I did search eBay but missed that.
Have now purchased that item.
I did measure the element resistance and it checks out.

Will try the thermostat and if not will buy a complete new unit.

Reply to Water filled towel rail overheating in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock