Search the forum,

Discuss Water main supply pipe leak? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sjw123

I hope asking this is not a problem and that you will be able to advise. I have either a problem with a leak somewhere to my drains or mains supply. Both enter/exit the house near to each other and there has been a damp/darkened area on the concrete over the area for a while. There is also a flower bed, where the soil has a damp area. I have had the drains jetted and cctv'd and was told there was no problem...except the gully has gaps. I have cemented these areas (except for one bit I missed, doh). Recently, a plumber attended to test for leaks on the mains. He was however, unable to isolate the mains from the street, due to a faulty stopcock (being addressed by water company now). However, he used a water pressure gauge attached to the in feed for the washing machine (garden tap imperial and old) and stated that there was a leak on the main, as the dial moved up and down slightly. Does this sound right? I would appreciate your thoughts and thank you for you help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for taking the time to answer Howsie. What should the result have been if the main stopcock in the street could have been turned off? (I am not being deliberately dozy, it comes naturally I guess)

The result if the mainstop cock in the road was turned off would show the gauge dropping over a period of time without anything in the house being used rather than being topped up with the valve being open.

If you get put on a water meter when they repair your stopcock out on the road, by closing your internal stopcock/isolation valve and looking at your meter dials if you see movement that will tell you that you have a leak underground between those two isolation valves rather than internal.

You are responsible for the pipe feeding from your boundary to your house but some water companies will assist with the cost of fixing or replacing the pipework but it pays to shop around if that is the case.

Also if you are lucky enough to have insurance for underground leaks you will be covered for the whole of the job. I had a similar problem in one of my properties. With the stopcock off in the house the meter was ticking over. Only spotted it due to the £300 water bill for 3 months!!! Insurance company moled in 40 meters of pipe from meter to new stopcock in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water main supply pipe leak? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock