Discuss water wouldn't stop running, hot and cold... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodedClaw

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Went to a simple basin connect in cloakroom in a 1880's terrace house.

Went to do cold first, there was a lead pipe out the ground with stopcock looking like it feed the cloakroom/utility room alone with a really handy rain valve just above it. Turn it off, open valve water comes out... water comes out.. 10lts of water out... ok - its not stopping - just a trickle 0.5lt a min. , open stopcock, gushes as expected, go outside, turn off mains to house.. same trickle, turn on stopcock still a trickle. I couldn't stop it.

Figure ok - lets look at hot - into airing - close gate valve to cylinder, drain taps.. trickle - same as cold. close of riser to tank, drain tank.. still a trickle.

Took many attempts to finally get a solder on the cold T, just wouldn't drain with the drainvalve open too.

The hot I left the taps open and just cut the pipe where I wanted and cut again to throw a service valve on, got soaked but least I could solder after.

Not nice.. I'm thinking maybe a burst pipe forcing just enough water up the pipes but hot and cold?

I couldn't get into the loft space to see what was happening there, thats why the riser had a valve in the airing.

any thoughts?

Antony.

Thinking about this overnight, I was at the house last month to clean the washing machine drain, turned out it was heavely silted up, I ran a snake down it and pulled out what i could, at the time I couldnt identify the silt, thick heavy fine sand, grey without smell, and talking to the custard they have a lot of silt in the water after a main burst up the road.

I had to cut into the same waste further down and the cross section is 1/4 full of this silt.

I'm thinking it has to be a burst pipe sucking in silt, but unless its burst both their's and also on the main I cant see how the taps still tricckle after the mains in off at the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water wouldn't stop running, hot and cold... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock