Search the forum,

Discuss Whale Pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gabi

Hi,

I currently have a Mira shower in my flat but unfortunately it has also been fitted with a very noisy whale pump.

The 'silent' whale pumps I have researched look very expensive, can anyone recommend one that's relatively cheap and guaranteed silence?

Or even better, would it be ok to remove the whale pump completely and replace it with a normal plug hole system? I understand that the whale pump will have been installed for a reason but I would really like to give the 'getting rid of it' option a try and see what happens...is that a terrible idea?!

any advice would be very much appreciated :)

Gabi

Welcome to the forum Gabi, Whale are one of the best on the market imho and most likely it`s been fitted for a reason. Trace the discharge pipe to the drains then see if you can run a suitable pipe from the room without the pump.

If it is really noisy then it may just be old and worn but they are simple to dismantle and take a look inside.

Hey- thanks a million for coming back to me so quickly!
How cabn I trace the pipe? is this a job for a plumber ideally or can I do it myself?

Hey- thanks a million for coming back to me so quickly!
How cabn I trace the pipe? is this a job for a plumber ideally or can I do it myself?

Start by switching the electric to the pump off, then remove the cover, the pipe that runs away towards the shower will be the inlet and the other will be the discharge (think it`s in on the right and out on the left) then the fun starts to trace the outlet pipe all the way to the drains which can be through walls and under the floor. Good luck!

PS. Think incoming is smaller (15mm) and outlet is 22mm if that helps.

Last edited:
thanks so much this helps a lot and yes...I have established that I will need a professional for this haha! you live in Edinburgh?

Kidding

Take care, thanks again

Take a look at the Whale web site, sure you will find it helpful and I`m never anywhere near Edinburgh nowadays since my aunt in Sterling passed away.

Take a look at the Whale web site, sure you will find it helpful and I`m never anywhere near Edinburgh nowadays since my aunt in Sterling passed away.

We have members near you, try your luck in the "I'm looking for a plumber" sub forum.

Thanks again and sorry to hear about your aunt

Take care and all the best

Thanks, it was 20yrs ago she passed though, still remember the walks around the Lochs and the tales she told.
(No need to reply)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whale Pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock