Search the forum,

Discuss what do do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

olicuk

I live in rented accomodation (but am also myself a landlord elsewhere and wouldn't treat my tenants like this!). Since I moved in 3 months ago, there has been an issue with condensate leaking from the flue above the boiler (a Baxi Maxflow WM). The flue is approx 5-6 metres long, and therefore a twin-flue, using what looks like standard Baxi parts.

The condensate has then been dripping into the boiler, causing electrical issues, and appears to be a cause of 'flame failure' lockout if the boiler is left on too long (ie/ 24/7 in the cold winter months), requiring waiting 6hrs plus before the boiler would successfully start (though the flame was always lighting, so presumably an issue with detection?).

The landlord has been saying he was going to change the boiler, though I'm not really convinced that was the issue, as I believe it was more to do with the flue not being correctly sealed, and condensate drainage? Anyway, finally and after a few cold and worrying months (worried of water/electrical issues, and if condensate can leak out the flue, presumably so can CO?), having to keep the boiler on only a few hours per day to stop it locking out, he finally showed up yesterday and changed the boiler. Or rather his Polish non Gas Safe Registered mates turned up and did it.

I found this out part way through the work and asked the landlord how it was going to be approved and comissioned, that a Gas Safe Registered person was going to do this. Whilst he said 'he'd sort it', it seemed like he wasn't really going to. Anyway, the 'installers' did a very basic and bad job, tested nothing (flue nor gas pressure or leaks), didn't follow any of the commissioning procedure, didn't flush or protect the system in any way, left two heavy leaks in the condensate pipes, power cables unprotected where they pass into the boiler, there's now no time control as the new (Keston C36 Combi) boiler doesn't incorporate one, and connected it to the old flue in a horrendous looking way (with rubber gaskets secured by jubilee clips over the join). Oh yes, and hilariously the flue *still* leaked in exactly the same place as before!! But as the new boiler is smaller, the leak just drips on the carpet now... joy!

In my concern, and with the landlord being as uncontactable as ever, I called a recommended GS engineer this morning, who took a look, issued an ID notice principally because of the flue, and having checked there were no gas leaks, disconnected the boiler and capped the supply. Happy days becuase at least I'm safe, if cold!

So what should I do? I've obviously contacted the landlord and told him about the ID, and therefore I have no heating. On my return home from work tonight, he's sent people into the flat (without any notice or authorisation from me) who have started taking down the covering of the flue, but from video evidence (;)) it was the same muppets who came yesterday.

I plan to not allow anyone not GS Registered in any more (I have to take tomorrow off work, as I did yesterday afternoon, to check what happens I guess)... but thoughts please! I have no confidence in what the landlord is doing now, as he's left a pile of ABS pipe in the flat, and the flue, which I presume he's going ahead and changing, looks to me (from reading the manual and websites!) like it needs to be in muPVC. The engineer I had out today said something like this too, though I didn't note exactly what. It seems like he's reacting to things I say need doing using his plumbers, still not getting a qualified person to correctly design the system and install it professionally and safely. Argh!

The G S engineer that issued the ID notice should have reported it to Gas Safe/Health & Safety [RIDDOR]
The main issue is that anyone who works on the boiler or flue must be Gas Safe Registered, this work cannot be done by anyone then signed off by a GS engineer.
Contact Gas Safe for advice!

you just cant get the staff these days can you, if it were my life he had been putting at risk to save a few quid i would be screaming it from the roof tops, what if just say you do nothing and he has another property in a similar state and someone days ?

food for thought fella

if condensate is leaking from the flue there is a good chance that so are the products of combustion, I would turn the Boiler of immediatly and tell the landlord If he doesnt get someone to sort it out, you will contact the HSE

report these muppets keston specifically say in their instructions DO NOT USE ABS PIPE OR FITTINGS now this is obvoiusly because it has been tested and fails to cope with the products of combustion. alternatively seek kestons installation instructions in polish and furnish the "engineer" with these. bloody cheapskate l/lord messing with peoples safety

You should contact the Gas Safe Engineer who inspected this and issued the ID notice to make sure that HSE are notified using RIDDOR. Alongisde ID there is a note in Unsafe Procedures that says RIDDOR "required where due to the use of unsatisfactory fittings or workmanship."

"RIDDOR Regulation 6(2) requires registered gas businesses to notify the HSE of installations which by reason of 'design, construction, manner of installation, modification or servicing' pose a risk of death or major injury to gas users. For example.... inadequate removal of products of combustion". This is taken from The Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure. Stop your landlord and illegal gas fitters from killing someone! What a piece of ....

tell him to get it sorted by a GS engineer or you will report him to the authorities and he has duties by law to make sure your gas appliances are safe so he would be in deep trouble

well done olicuk for having the balls to deal with your landlord. there are to many tenants out there whether through ignorance or fear are willing to put up with this sort of treatment (which in your case could have been your life)
will be amazed if gas safe follow this up though judging by many of the posts on here

just threaten to stop paying rent until its been made safe and registered, in the mean time Report your land lord and the cowboy installers before the kill someone.

Thanks everyone for your replies... I like Tamz idea best, if only it were practical! Being a tenant isn't fun!

All I can say is this is still ongoing... the landlord did bring around a Gas Safe registered engineer on Friday, and even he condemned what had been done before. But he was only there to check it and reconnected the gas (though he didn't know as such, he had been called by the landlord to do an annual safety check!!), so the dodgy plumbers have since been replacing the flue properly and correcting the water pipe leaks. They didn't turn up yesterday, the Gas Safe guy did having been told everything would be complete so he could come back again and comission and test everything, so when he turned up in the evening and it wasn't complete, he also called the landlord and his workmen a bunch of cowboys and suggested I call and report the lot of them!!!! I personally want to, but my g/f is worried about the consequences :( The saga continues...

i a sorry to hear all this is happening to you ! But just give your solicitor a quick call ! i think for small charger to right one latter he can change the way things are for you ! and possible compensation perhaps

women always worry too much, report the guy he is putting your lifes in danger.

you must report this guy to the hse people like him give us landlords and gas engineers a bad name there are to many unregistered cowboys working out there that have little or no knowledge about safety the muppet could have killed you would you treat your tennant the same way i imagine not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what do do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock