Discuss what do i do now?!?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

freeman1986

i have just finished my city and guilds plumbing course. this has set me up for my nvq. but i can find NO ONE in my area or surrounding willing to take me on so i could do the nvq. they either say their not looking to take on trainees/not looking for anyone/need to be gas safe etc. the college said i need to be employed before i can do the nvq.

i'm 24, not a school leaver which i thought might help as i would be more mature than the 16/17 year olds looking to do theirs. i would also be paying for the cost of the nvq myself. as i did with the city and guilds course. but it doesnt seem to help
this is what i want to do but i'm finding it very hard to get my foot in the door with anyone.

any tips on what i should do?/say to employers?

cheers

would going self employed be an option? would i still be able to do my nvq if working for myself? my mates a plumber and he said he should be able to chuck some bits my way, but cant take me on

Im sorry to hear this, ive been posting on here for some time saying that the C&G 6129 is not recognised by industry but people still keep thinking it is and doing these courses, often at a lot of expence. They would prefer to listen to a saleman than me, just anyone on a board. Anyone looking to pay big money for a course look at this persons query first.

I hope you get the work you need, fuzz

Yes registering as self employed should satisfy the college, in fact my college suggested thats what I do as I'm in full time employment doing something else, you should be fine if your mate will let you do some bits and sign them of as workplace recorder

Registering as self employed is easy just a phone call or a web site

HM Revenue & Customs:

As you are older the government have priced you out of the market. You can only get 1 year at apprentice rate ! This is not your fault !
For me NVQ while you are self employed is a joke, sorry but it is

For me NVQ while you are self employed is a joke, sorry but it is

Totally agree with you Toddy. And our trade is also being made a joke as a consequence. No wonder people have little faith in plumbers.

training on peoples properties whilst getting piad to get the qual you should have before you work on someones property

This isnt helping the poor bloke.does anyone a 100% right answer? we all want to get on and the clock is ticking.cheers

I did the NVQ2 via self employment and I'm getting the NVQ3 done in the same way. Contrary to what some posters above imply, the customers actually have some reassurance as the work is inspected by an assessor. In some respects this could well be better than doing the NVQ while working for someone else and using them as a work place recorder - who's to say that person isn't as diligent as an assessor? So if you can't get a job, go self employed...

I did my nvq a couple of years ago, i asked a mate to sign a letter as my workplace recorder as he is a plumber, i then did a few jobs for him (for free) and family and friends and took photos as evidence. I then had to have witnessed two installs of bathrooms so i placed a small advert on gumtree.com and explained the situation and offered to do some plumbing for free in return for my lecturer to come and observe. Worked a treat. Failing that ring round local plumbers and offer your services for free a couple of days a months/week in return for experience/photos etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.ocentric,a bit more positive and constructive .thats what we want to hear.

I did the NVQ2 via self employment and I'm getting the NVQ3 done in the same way. Contrary to what some posters above imply, the customers actually have some reassurance as the work is inspected by an assessor. In some respects this could well be better than doing the NVQ while working for someone else and using them as a work place recorder - who's to say that person isn't as diligent as an assessor? So if you can't get a job, go self employed...

The assessor does not garantee the work? he only needs to assess two of the criteria directly anyway, the rest can come from photos or write up. You are mistaken, theres no way that an un qualified installer with an assessor checking a small part can be deemed more reassuring for a customer than a qualified and expeirenced engineer completing the job. very misleading.

want to know fact about training and assessment ask me

This isnt helping the poor bloke.does anyone a 100% right answer? we all want to get on and the clock is ticking.cheers

answe to what exactly? yes you can do the NVQ self employed, it wasnt desinged that way and is a loop hole, this is set to be a closed loop hole with the new diploma, but maybe people will find a way round it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what do i do now?!?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back