Search the forum,

Discuss What do you think? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point having them empty. I was practically born in that flat but no point being sentimental if I'm not intending to stay in Italy (except as a Brexit armageddon backup plan and even then Scandinavia has greater appeal).

The first floor flat is to be let out and owned by my aunt who lives locally. So if I sell the floor above and below to the wrong person, it will affect her. No other flats in the building: only 2 floors and ground. The flats are not completely independent as the stairwell and back entrance are communal, as is a small ground floor store room which houses the stopcocks and supply pipes to the flats and the shop.

Despite the shop having a pre-tax profit of €13,000 per year out of which the owner has to pay €7,000 between NICs and income tax plus any buildings maintenance as that isn't a deductable expence (usually a small business like this in Italy is run on a self employed or partnership basis without employees because you can't afford them), I have found a family interested in purchasing and pursuing the same line of business (or they're lying). I have even given them a brief statement by my accountant that shows, among other details, the taxable profit. Retired couple with a 27 year old daughter at university who seems to be interested in the job because she likes working with people despite no experience in shopwork or running a business. In a way, it's not a completely mad idea as it's nice area but with low property values (800 sq ft of shop and a similar size flat for €160000 total). If the business doesn't work out, I suppose they haven't lost a lot: they have have a nice place to retire and may find another use for the shop or can convert it.

I don't understand why you'd want to commit yourself to a 365 day working year without paid holidays, sick pay, overtime and someone to be responsible that isn't you for €6000 a year when you could get a part-job in a supermarket. But I don't need to understand that really. Living with parents at 27 if you're single isn't that unusual in Italy.

But my concern is the parents anyway (I'd love to talk to this girl on her own and make sure she understands the situation properly, but I've so far to get no more than 2 minutes alone with her, which is a bit odd since she's 27 and she's going to be running the shop even if it her parents money and she's living with them) are batshit crazy and that I'm too open minded to realise it.

Having spent some considerable time showing the parents (no daughter present) the flat, the shop, and discussing some aspects of the buildings to them the other day, we then had a long coffee and a chat. The parents are Catholic (not unusual in Italy). They believe the current Pope was put in place by bad people within the Vatican who forced Ratzinger to resign and that Ratzinger deliberately put errors into the Latin text of his resignation in order to invalidate it and show to posterity that it was written under coertion, that the new Pope didn't mention something or other in his acceptance address which shows he knows he isn't really the Pope, that the Covid vaccines aren't vaccines because they only work to a degree and the virus mutates (like the flu jab, I said). And that some lady called Luz de Maria who sees the Virgin Mary on a fortnighly basis suggested Good Samaritan's oil is a better alternative to vaccination. As it's largely aromatic oils, I can't see what harm it can do as an addition, though I personally took the first possible opportunity to be vaccinated.

I actually looked at the 'revelations' of this Luz de Maria type and it's the typical stuff. She's been banging on about viruses for so many years she had to get it right sooner or later and if you predict enough earthquakes some of the predictions are likely to be reasonably accurate. Even so, even if you are religious, the test for a prophet is 100% accuracy, so logic dictates she fails the Christian test. If you aren't Catholic she's either a fraud or she's delusional.

Today, two days after coming up to visit, the father drives up with the daughter to ask the town hall about a licencing issue that they could have asked about by phone (80 miles and from sea level to 3000ft above, some sections of road being like the Michael Caine "Italian job" ending road), to walk around a park for half an hour (there's nothing especially interesting about that park) and to bring me a bottle of this anti-Covid oil. I told my aunt and she said she hopes they don't buy the place, and I'm starting to lean against the idea.

Am I just making excuses not to sell because I have an emotional attachment to the building, or should I just get rid of these buyers because they are going to cause my aunt (and me, possibly) hassle and grief?

Last edited:
So you need to choose are you selling for the best price as quickly as possible or are you selling in the way that best promises you aunt a quiet life ?
If you (your aunt) want a quiet life avoid nutjobs like these purchasers. Imo

"(or they're lying)" - can you elaborate?

So you need to choose are you selling for the best price as quickly as possible or are you selling in the way that best promises you aunt a quiet life ?
It's about the best solution all around. I could afford to keep them and maintain them empty as costs aren't high, but I feel buildings should be lived in and renting them is both impractical and unlikely for reasons I won't bore you with. It's not in the interests of myself (maintenance etc. of a foreign property) or the village (empty buildings where there could be a shop and residents) to keep the properties empty though.

The price is irrelevant as we're currently at a low point and values may increase in the future, or continue to fall, however I'm constrained in that the Italian equivalent of HMRC won't accept my paying tax (the shop is a business asset so I'll be taxed at PAYE rates on the shop part of the building). Any price below what they consider a 'market value' and it will be assumed I received a part of the value cash in hand and evaded tax, whatever the truth of the matter.

If you (your aunt) want a quiet life avoid nutjobs like these purchasers. Imo
Glad to hear it coming from someone else.

"(or they're lying)" - can you elaborate?
They tell me they intend to pursue the same line of business (news, books, and stationery, plus a few gift items). News sales are falling at 5% a year but still represent enough work to occupy a full time worker every day of the week yet only only earn enough to cover the operating costs. So any 'wages' need to come from profit from other items. The shop, in the village's economic heyday, used to sell loads of gifts and toys and the shelves were chockful of stuff. You'd sell 2 VW Passat station wagon's contents of high value items just in August. There were dead months, but the 3 months a year you worked made it worthwhile.

Recently the stock was scaled back, but we weren't selling the few items we had. Anything above €10 would normally sit on the shelves for years. When you realise you have coloured paper albums and you've sold 2 in 8 months, you start to wonder whether stationary is a public service or a profitable line of business. The prospective purchaser knows the market is declining - so I'd expect him to have in mind a way to significantly change the product offer or line of business. He says they plan to sell the same stuff, and this doesn't make sense as, after tax and NI, the daughter will make €6000 takehome if she works 7.30 till 12.30 and from 16.00 to 18.00, 365 days a year if she's as successful as I have been. I don't think the shop could be any more economically viable than this in the current market conditions as it wasn't badly run.

Online has killed the high street, especially things like stationery. I've bought lots of stationary but I cannot remember the last time i was in a stationers in the last few years.

Reply to What do you think? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock