Search the forum,

Discuss What have you been up to lately? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Just thought I'd quickly check in to see what you guys have been up to lately.

Any decent jobs you've done? Moved house? Been on holiday? Bought any new tools? New van? Got a new job? Finished training? Found a new employee?

Fill us all in. :)

Keep it polite and clean lads and ladies, this is in a public forum.

Well I have retired, now I just travel

I gave all my tools to an apprentice

Since I retired 3 years ago, I have travelled over 250000 miles,

I have been Overland to Australia, that took 8 months

Been to Sth America, India, now planning a 8-9 month trip to Africa

I think I have worked long enough now, so I think I am entitled to do what I want now

Plumbing paid for all of this, I saved my money, never ****ed it away

I can still do any work, but I just pick and choose the jobs I want and they are for cash only

Well lads enjoy yourselves out there, there is now one less

Last edited by a moderator:

I think I have worked long enough now, so I think I am entitled to do what I want now

I can still do any work, but I just pick and choose the jobs I want and they are for cash only

I'm not jealous at all!!! Honestly.

I have been daft and gone self employed I'm enjoying it but not earning a lot at the moment but slowly getting busier.

So there is life after plumbing then! :)

Oh man busy

Iv been really busy fitting boilers & teaching my nephew the ropes, done 6 boiler swaps and three full installs boiler reads pipe etc all in one month;0/

Lately seems to be work work oh and more work, i have no life and i dream of sodder lol, Seriously i need to start saying no and that im to busy, the closest i get to a good pint nowadys is a wee trip to the arms lol,
It really is a sore fight for half a loaf,

Bought a new van on Sept 1st. First time I've ever bought a brand new vehicle.
Got a shiny new apprentice.
Got a qualified lad working for me part-time as well.
Just finished commercial gas changeover.

Been a busy summer... :)

got into an inshore lifeboat this evening, the small bouncy things, to go check out a calf that had fallen down a cliff. Realised 5 minutes into the trip why old gits like me should remain on all weather boats (the ones with tea making facilities), so spotted said animal, to rough to put boat on beach, swam ashore with another crewman, bouncing off several rocks on the way. Approached beastie, who had grown into an 8 month old steer as we got closer. Poor beast was obviously suffering and refused to take to the water to allow us to get it to safety and chasing it around would only have got it a broken leg slipping up, or me a broken something! So now it was a 50 metre swim out to the boat against 2-3 metre waves, luckily fear and adrenalin do work and gets you to said boat eventually. Funniest bit was the helm telling the two now exhausted old crewmen to call up the coasties and tell them we on our way home, once you have your breathe back he added. Farmer will have to take action himself to deal with the poor beast.

Existing I know , but yes new van here, and actually sign written for the first time.
i am really trying to slow down, 55 years old and I would leave a 17 year old in my wake .
loosing mum this year has made me realise how precious life is , and work should be way down the list .

easy for a 55 yr old to leave a 17yr old behind, as they never get up before 2pm :), nothinh to do with working hard :)

I've impregnated the mrs twice this year. First one didn't make it but being a quality tradesman I didn't stop until the job was done. All being well I shall be a 3 time dad by Christmas!

I've impregnated the mrs twice this year. First one didn't make it but being a quality tradesman I didn't stop until the job was done. All being well I shall be a 3 time dad by Christmas!

Congratulations!

Got a Mikita 18volt angle grinder and a 18volt circular saw
spent Sunday with my dad making my ron paulk bench wich to me spending the day wth my dad playing chippy was priceless wish we had done more of it when I was a kid
thanks dad

Took the summer off (more or less, stopped home for the odd top up of cash) and toured all around Scotland and Northern England in a caravan seeing places i never knew existed.
Probably the best year of my life.

Took the summer off (more or less, stopped home for the odd top up of cash) and toured all around Scotland and Northern England in a caravan seeing places i never knew existed.

Good to see you back on here Tam. Glad you're well and happy. Stick around mate, you've been missed.

probably worse for all those following you :)

Well done and fair play to you! Enjoy!

I came intothis forum a few years ago to learn more about plumbing as I love DIY andfixing stuff. In 2009 I was redundled from you safe little job with BT anI thought, 'Opportunity knocks!' and when the very nice man from T4T told me Icould make some really good money being a Plumber I was sold and began thecourse.

Then I found a nice little earner for one year fixed contract doing what I'dbeen doing at BT for more money and my studies sort of fell away.
I kept them up though as I wanted the C&Gbadge to at least make it worth the £3k I’d spent.

Finished my 1year contract and started thinking about getting into plumbing again and reallygot my head down in the books. I beganto think that maybe the T4T wasn’t going to teach me all I needed to know as Iread reports on here about guys needing a lot of real-life experience whichmade a lot of sense.
Another jobcame up, permananent this time so I took that an dthen found out that my T4Tcourse had expired as I’d taken more than three years to get to module 24 orso. That p’d me off mightily and Imoaned a lot – which achieved what just moaning always achieves – Nowt!
I’ll be 65 inApril and the company I am working for keep sending me on training courses andtalk about my career development which I find a laugh. I have realised some things from experiencesof the past 5 years:

1. Changing a hobby into a job probably won’twork as there’s a mile of difference between choosing a nice little radiatormove or similar on a Saturday morning with no pressure and being called out toa cold house and a client nagging, ‘Is it done yet’?
  2. If you have ajob you enjoy and the money is decent, why rock the boat? What I do now is miles away from plumbing butI enjoy it and the boss seems to appreciate my efforts.
My Mum died amonth ago and that caused some re-thinking too about the fragility oflife. I am just taking the days as theycame and happy knowing that if the job annoys me in any way I can slap the resigantionin and not worry about it. All the yearsof striving and sucking up to eejits who think they’re God’s gift are over.
Sorry, that wasa bit of a ramble. Anyone want a set ofT4T books?
ChipDoctor

Well, been keeping busy, as we have taken on 4 full time guys and decided to get an office to manage the paperwork. We now seem to be shouldering the national debt as there's tax, corporation tax, national insurance, vat, and various other deserving institutions that need our financial support.
Whilst the phone is still ringing, there seems to be ever such a lot of paper involved in this lark not to mention dealing with the various 'staff problems' that seem to arise on Mondays.

It does mean though that we are starting to grow slowly -not financially at the moment- which must be a good sign.

Regards

Arthur

Just moved house and spending a lot of time playing cardboard castles with the kids

Takes the mind off all the other more important but equally boring jobs to do......like setting up the office or hanging clothes up.

Ok Dan

Centralheatking has had a good summer

1. My company API as sold a device which goes into production this year
We got our Wras cert last week
2. I have bought another holiday let in N Cornwall - discount rates for UKPF
3. We have taken on 3 more fellas in advance of the hopefully cold winter
4. We are 3/4 way thro designing and getting patent for a solar thermal roof

Dan - we would like to place ads on here just like Alan does can you pm me please

centralheatking

iv
Just thought I'd quickly check in to see what you guys have been up to lately.

Any decent jobs you've done? Moved house? Been on holiday? Bought any new tools? New van? Got a new job? Finished training? Found a new employee?

Fill us all in. :)

Keep it polite and clean lads and ladies, this is in a public forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seperated from my wife after 30 years, completed my first ironman, got a tattoo, moved house and swam a 10km race in the river Dart. Work wise I'm just finishing a wet room in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What have you been up to lately? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock