Search the forum,

Discuss Whats all this about? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Please could someone give me some advice on this install I am doing.

The first picture shows the tank above the cylinder, this seems to be seperated, there are 2 ballvalves. I assumed one would be for the heating and the other was the cws tank. I drained the rads and the left hand side tank level dropped, the right hand side was still full. The weird thing was the two towel rails were still fulll of pressure. I think they are off the cws tank! I have never seen this done before? If this is the case I am going to try and link the towel rails back into the heating system.

The next picture shows the flue of the boiler. Before I take the old boiler out I wanted to know if there is a possibility the flue may be ducted into other boiler flues in the massive block of flats I just want to make sure it is safe to disconnect the old flue.

The 3rd picture shows the layout of the current system, I didn't try it but there is a pump that I think must run when the hot water is called for on the programmer, I assume this is how the two towel rails fed from the cws tank get hot and circulate.

Any advise much appreciated. Thanks alot!!!!! 085.jpg083.jpg086.jpg084.jpg I should probably add I am swaping the current system for an electric boiler as it is virtually impossible to fit a gas boiler.

Please could someone give me some advice on this install I am doing.

The first picture shows the tank above the cylinder, this seems to be seperated, there are 2 ballvalves. I assumed one would be for the heating and the other was the cws tank. I drained the rads and the left hand side tank level dropped, the right hand side was still full. The weird thing was the two towel rails were still fulll of pressure. I think they are off the cws tank! I have never seen this done before? If this is the case I am going to try and link the towel rails back into the heating system.

The next picture shows the flue of the boiler. Before I take the old boiler out I wanted to know if there is a possibility the flue may be ducted into other boiler flues in the massive block of flats I just want to make sure it is safe to disconnect the old flue.

The 3rd picture shows the layout of the current system, I didn't try it but there is a pump that I think must run when the hot water is called for on the programmer, I assume this is how the two towel rails fed from the cws tank get hot and circulate.

Any advise much appreciated. Thanks alot!!!!!View attachment 8542View attachment 8543View attachment 8544View attachment 8545 I should probably add I am swaping the current system for an electric boiler as it is virtually impossible to fit a gas boiler.

I have never seen this done before? Used to be common, especially on coal fired back boilers behind open fires. Could have been used for heat leak on a Modern solid fuel system. Just noticed NOT in a flat tho'

I just want to make sure it is safe to disconnect the old flue. Probably discharges into a vertical void, but only you onsite can verfiy exactly what it does, it should be O.k removing the boiler flue and fixing and sealing a plate over the end, but it's up to you to confirm soundness of the remaining flue.

I think must run when the hot water is called for on the programmer Those bronze pumps are usually used for secondary circulation of DHW to maintain temp at tap and reduce cold legs, there would be a (15mm) return going back into the cylinder between 1/3 and 2/3 up. It may also feed the Towel rails, but would be best back with the rads.

Last edited:
be careful on the flue if its a combined flue system on a block of flats only certain boilers can be used .hard to advise from photos.

Can you knock on another couple of flats and ask to see if the flue is a combined flue. I have never seen a combined flue like that but have come across a U duct in 1 block of flats before.

If it was me I would want to rip out all the cylinder and start again looks a bit of a jumble to me.

one tank is as you say for the heating one for cold water storage your towel rails are fitted on the hot water cicuit problem with that is you have to use brass towel rails the steel ones will rust through in weeks

That flue looks as though it serves other appliances above the flat your in. Is it a downstairs flat? I would say no don't disconnect it, till you've investigated fully. Is there a property manager or some form of caretaker to ask? And the tank is just a combination of the domestic h/w and f&e.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to see if I can connect the towel rails up to the heating circuit.

With regards to the flue. It seems like it is connected to the other flues in the block. I went outside and there are only a few flues terminating.

Nothing like the amount there would be if each flat had a seperate flue. I was hoping to get a cap for the flue. Does anyone think that will cause a problem? obv an open flue boiler, didn't know if it would effect the flue pull on the other boilers if it is capped off?

You have either a Seduct flue or U duct flue.

Recheck your gas books to check which system you have. You will need to do a thorough inspection on the roof and basement to check what you have or speak to the managing agent and get their answer in writing, I would be carefull not to rely on a poorly paid caretaker to advise you !

I would imagine it will be safe to disconnect a joint inside the flat, and seal using sand and cement.

Kev.

You have either a Seduct flue or U duct flue.

Recheck your gas books to check which system you have. You will need to do a thorough inspection on the roof and basement to check what you have or speak to the managing agent and get their answer in writing, I would be carefull not to rely on a poorly paid caretaker to advise you !

I would imagine it will be safe to disconnect a joint inside the flat, and seal using sand and cement.

Kev.

Thats a good point Kev, I had better get the go ahead before I do start taking it apart. I think it would be impossible to seal with sand and cement I think it's an 8 inch flue. What about expanding foam and then a layer of cement over the top?

I wouldn't touch it till you have written permission, and if I was to cap it I'd form a metal pate and rivet it on using fire cement or heat resistant silicone (plumba) I think it's called.

i dont think thats se duct or u duct just looks like a shared flue the draugh is from each flat via the open flued boilers youll have to take any new boiler out through the wall as normal
weve had several of these in large blocks many had to be replaced with electric boilers as building management wouldnt allow flues through the fabric

i dont think thats se duct or u duct just looks like a shared flue the draugh is from each flat via the open flued boilers youll have to take any new boiler out through the wall as normal
weve had several of these in large blocks many had to be replaced with electric boilers as building management wouldnt allow flues through the fabric

Thats what it looks like to me as well. Also it looks like the bottom of the the flue system as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whats all this about? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock