Discuss What's Yellow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlumbersMate

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Took a Cover Plate off today to see how a 3 port valve was wired in and there were 3 different cables run in all consisting of the following colours, Red, Blue, Yellow and Green/Yellow. What are the Yellow wires? Here's a pic. Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 76
I had that with me mate but tbh all the wires just confused me. I reckon I could have worked it all out if there was one cable in there that was just blue brown and green/yellow as I assume that would be the boiler but there wasn't anything like that? Was well beyond me tbh so recommended a sparky. Need to get on the Honeywell Wiring course sharpish!

I'm guessing it would have been a lot easier if it was a wiring centre rather than just connector blocks. For instance 2, 1 & 3 from the Room Stat means nothing to me tbh haven't got any experience of system wiring

I would say:

The yellow connected to the orange is the switched live to the boiler. The yellow connected to the white is the "Normally open" or "Demand" from the room stat.

The yellow connected to the blue and grey wires is the "HW OFF" wire from the timer.

The only wires you can be sure of are the earths and if all blues go together they are probably neutrals. Everything else is in the head of the guy who wired it (probably a spark) and are just switch wires.
Easy enough to follow if you think about it.
Starting from the bottom.
1. Hw on from cyl stat, pump and boiler switch lives and the orange to the valve
2. Hw off from clock, hw sat from cyl stat and grey to valve.
3. Heating on from room stat and white on valve
4. Probably boiler switch live linking to 1
5. Possibly a permanent live.

Neutrals and earths are below the other connectors.

Test them to confirm.

The only wires you can be sure of are the earths and if all blues go together they are probably neutrals. Everything else is in the head of the guy who wired it (probably a spark) and are just switch wires.
Easy enough to follow if you think about it.
Starting from the bottom.
1. Hw on from cyl stat, pump and boiler switch lives and the orange to the valve
2. Hw off from clock, hw sat from cyl stat and grey to valve.
3. Heating on from room stat and white on valve
4. Probably boiler switch live linking to 1
5. Possibly a permanent live.

Neutrals and earths are below the other connectors.

Test them to confirm.
The bloke who owns the house was a sparky so to him was probably piece off piddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's Yellow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock