Search the forum,

Discuss Where has common sense gone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
Apparently now if there's a Baxi flue (we have loads on contract) that is of the new type which requires the self taper screw through the flue elbow and the screw hasn't been fitted, that means it's at risk, regardless of other factors. So the one I went to yesterday, the horizontal flue went straight out the wall behind the boiler and was cemented in, but had been at risked. Surely that screw is now redundant because the flue is cemented in?

Total overkill imo.

Last edited:
Our auditors have advised it's at risk. So the previous engineer left a mother and 2 children without for 3 days until I went and put a screw in the flue. Apparently one screw is ncs. I would say that providing the flue is otherwise ok that it's only ncs.

Reading the manufacturer instructions for the Duo Tec GA, the section regarding the self tapper in the elbow is not particularly strong with it's wording. It doesn't say you must, it simply says, screw the elbow to the flue section using the screw provided.

when i was on social housing price work we got a pound to screw the flues when on a service/llcert
personally i think its a load of carp when the flue is cemented in the only way the flue can come apart is if the boiler falls of the wall and i cant see a 3/8 self tapper doing much

During a brief stint doing HA I was told the same, and also worcester flues depending on the mi's early mi's don't state screws so there ok but new ones do state the flue needs to be screwed.

it is all because the lack of screws in flue was cited as a contributing factor in a recent co death of someone although from what i read it was flue extensions involved

We installed about 150 baxi GA's and got flagged on a couple where we only had 1 screw in securing the flue off the turret .

Basically 1 had been dropped (lost)on installation hence only having 1 self tapper , but nope 1 wasn't good enough so they were flagged as AT RISK .

Crazy

Apparently not you can ask the householder but if they say no you just record that on the form, job done.

Well now your modifying it with non manufactured approved fixings

You've got a point. I don't think Baxi have a part number for the self tapper though!

It is sometimes quicker to put the screw in, but that means getting your drill off the van.

You can turn off if they say ok after you have explained possible risk, but then there is a possible risk of dying from hypothermia, not to mention heart attack among OAPs caused by all the distress

So it's back to common sense and how you explain the seriousness of a screw missing out of a otherwise secure flue

Get a box of 13mm wafer head self tappers on the van, if you see it missing just put them in, takes literally a few seconds and no need to pre drill with these screws.

if i was a company being told on a contract i must AR for a missing screw i would be saying £50 and we will put the screws in on service check, job done. $$$$$$

I've had that situation, Manufacturers engineers have a tick box without deviation or discretion or common sense unfortunately.

Typical HA contracts full of red tape and useless management.

Give the flue a good wiggle, if the flue joint moves and there is a risk of it dismantling then AR, if it doesn't then NCS if required.

This should apply to all flues regardless of make or manufacturers instruction IMO. If manufacturers don't state screw the flue then more support brackets are needed.

I see a lot of this. I just charge a little extra to rectify. im forever pinning vertical flues and adding clamps!

Get a box of 13mm wafer head self tappers on the van, if you see it missing just put them in, takes literally a few seconds and no need to pre drill with these screws.
But surely and to be correct, you should order the self tapper from the manufacturers? Any foreign self tapper may not be up to the correct and original specification?

You can turn off if they say ok after you have explained possible risk, but then there is a possible risk of dying from hypothermia, not to mention heart attack among OAPs caused by all the distress

I understood at AR meant turn off at the appliance operating control i.e tap or switch, label, issue notice and verbally advise customer. If they then chose to use the appliance,well its up to them.

I always thought you had to turn off but I now understand this is not so, if like me you feel a bit unsure of the correct procedure phone GS for there take on it

when i was on social housing price work we got a pound to screw the flues when on a service/llcert
personally i think its a load of carp when the flue is cemented in the only way the flue can come apart is if the boiler falls of the wall and i cant see a 3/8 self tapper doing much

did a contract for a large gas maintenance company,doing post service work spent 4 weeks putting screws in vertical flue's,and clips,some of the clips were needed ,but the screws seemed a bit overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where has common sense gone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock