Discuss which are the best heat exchangers in modern boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

Interested in discussing which you think are the best and why?
Stainless seem to have the best reputation but are modern silicone/cast alliminium heat exchangers really inferior?

I was at a Main course last week and they basically said the Mains are the same as the Baxi's and Pottertons except for the cast alliminium heat exchanger rather than the stainless steel as its a cheaper boiler.

Worcester use silicone-alluminium heat exchangers even in their top end boilers. Is this because they are lighter and more efficient or do people think they really will be troublesome in the future?

Just comparing boilers out there that we may install and in the future and interested in the make up of them to help me make my decision, trying to see past the marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
alumillium heat exchangers definately aint light personally i think the stainless will prove to be the best in the long run and easier to change if the do fail

stainless will last, aluminium silicate is already failing in certain brands

oh I just assumed they were lighter seeing as the Worcesters are very light. Fitted hundereds but cost a lot more than the Mains have been such good value and more reliable so we now fit these in most cases.

fact i have never replaced a stainless steel heat exchanger in a duotec they are bullet proof,tbh only heard of one ali in a main failing, aluminium silicate recuperators( god,thats a mouthful) in the performa/105 etc will fail if the systems dirty or ferroquest has been used ali ideal and ariston fail like fun,forever finding bits of worcesters in the trap

yep I find that in the trap with worcesters too though not seen them fail in the modern boilers, will price up baxi's, cheers.

yep I find that in the trap with worcesters too though not seen them fail in the modern boilers, will price up baxi's, cheers.

dont forget potterton gold and heat max combis/system boilers are the same as a duotec though normally cheaper

Worcester offer a 10yr warranty on their heat exchangers which is something that I am not aware that any other manufacturer offers regardless of the material used in it's construction.

Just seems strange to me that many people view stainless steel as being a superior product but the manufacturer's will not support this with a manufacturer's warranty.

baxi give 5 years on the platinum 50 i have fitted no heat exchanger issues( all around 5 year old ) no deposits in the trap,it has been known for worcesters ali silicate to fail,but it does depend on system water quality this is one big factor in aluminium silicate failing so like everything if its installed well in the first place.....,but i have never seen a stainless fail,seen loads of ali in some cases every things been done correctly

Deposits in the trap are generally from the manufacturing stage where the heat exchanger is cast.

Anything mechanical will fail....just nice to have the back up of a manufacturer's warranty of 10 years. Can be a good sales pitch to the customer.

with a worcester it wont matter it will have wet its self long before then when the plastics and o rings go awol LOL no i should not be LOLING i will probably be sticking them back together DAMN

Viessmann, in 20yrs they have never had a warrenty claim for a failed heat ex, but then Iam only going on my exp and the propaganda that the sales rep fills you with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to which are the best heat exchangers in modern boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock