Discuss Which is the more powerful pump? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all just picking your brains 2 pumps with flow rates of 3.8 and 5.7 which is the more powerful, also can you fit a commercial pump into a domestic system?

5.7 is a higher flow rate but might be the same pressure as the 3.8

Need more info

Are we taking heating or water and what’s the problem with the existing set up ?

Hi all well here is the problem in it's entirety, when we bought our house ( 2 bedroom ) up and down, the central heating was by way of a back boiler it had 3 radiators upstairs and 3 downstairs, but because of concrete floors downstairs, as it was previously council owned, the downstairs radiators were on what is known as dead legs. I put in a feature fireplace and ( as then you did not have to be gas safe ) I put a wall hung boiler in the bathroom and installed a fully pumped15mm pipe "Y" plan system which was open vented. The pump was a bog standard Grundfos one and as the boiler was getting long in the tooth I decided to get it replaced, in doing so I noticed that there was something wrong with the pump ie the body could be scraped with a knife and large chunks could be cut out of it so that was replaced with a new one. the chap who replaced the boiler put in a pressurised system. Not long afterwards I decided to take out the radiator in the bathroom and install a heated towel rail, now this was a big one, I noticed that the radiator in the entrance way was not getting hot at all but just left it . After a while I decided to get a Grundfos Alpha 2 L pump but it made no difference, so I then decided to get a Grundfos alpha 3b and take out the radiator in the sitting room and put in a big 2 panel one , for got to mention that I replaced all of the rads in the house with modern single panel ones the full length of the windows and put the bedroom ones on TRV's,. this is where everything went wrong, the Alpha 3b is setup and balanced using the 2 apps, Go Remote and Go Balance but these would not touch my system and could not balance it no matter what I did, I tried my best to manually balance the system, as I know how to, but that made no difference either, the entrance rad would not heat up the big one in the sitting room would not heat up the kitchen one would just get warm to the touch (these are all the rads on the dead legs) upstairs ones were getting quite warm, now I am left with the upstairs heating ok but nothing downstairs ( there are no air locks) I have come to the conclusion that the Alpha 3b is not powerful enough to pump the water round the system, I have spent quite a bit of time and money on pumps to try and rectify this problem but to no avail, so if any one out there knows of a powerful pump that can do the job drop me a line, one other thing I have come across is a Super 25 pump but it is a commercial one is there any reason why I cannot install it in my system obviously I would have to extend the port dimension as it is 180 mm not 130.

:D a standard 15-60 eg ups2 or ups3 will be more than good enough for your system but it sounds like you have either a design issue or a blockage changing the pump
Won’t change much

The Alpha3 may display the head in meters, the flowrate in M3/hr and the power in watts, does it?.
What control mode are you running it on, CC (constant curve), CP (constant pressure) or PP (proportional pressure) ?.

:D a standard 15-60 eg ups2 or ups3 will be more than good enough for your system but it sounds like you have either a design issue or a blockage changing the pump
Won’t change much
Problem is it is the same design as before the only thing I have done is replaced the bathroom rad with a heated towel rail and replaced the flatpanel rad in the sitting room with a big double panel one, i know for certain that there is no blockage in the system because when I did the work I used the rad valves to get water down the dead legs on both sides of the rads before I connected then up.

The Alpha3 may display the head in meters, the flowrate in M3/hr and the power in watts, does it?.
What control mode are you running it on, CC (constant curve), CP (constant pressure) or PP (proportional pressure) ?.
yep head in meters and the flowrate in M3/hr and power in watts and it is on proportional pressure

It’s not a pump problem as it’s very unlikely you have two bad pumps out the gate

You sure it’s not a one pipe system?

It’s not a pump problem as it’s very unlikely you have two bad pumps out the gate

You sure it’s not a one pipe system?
I'am not saying the pumps are bad, I am saying they are not powerful enough to pump the water round the system because of the dead legs, I am going to do an experiment tomorrow and will let you know the outcome

Unless the dead legs are connected together which your system would never work these dead legs don’t matter as there just capped off services

I'am not saying the pumps are bad, I am saying they are not powerful enough to pump the water round the system because of the dead legs, I am going to do an experiment tomorrow and will let you know the outcome
Can you get any readings from the pump as it will reveal quite a lot IMO.

Reply to Which is the more powerful pump? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock