Discuss Which Worcester Bosch Boiler For Our Home? Please Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

We may need to replace our boiler - the OLDER version Worcester Bosch 35Cdi (see images attached)

1. Our home is a 1920's Semi
  2. 5 Bedrooms
  3. 2 Bathrooms
  4. 5 x Large (1800mm) Double Panel Radiators
  5. 1 x Large (1800mm) Single Panel Radiator
  6. 3 x Medium (1400mm) Double Panel Radiators
  7. 2 x Short Height Double Panel 1400mm Radiators
  8. 3 x Bathroom Towel Radiators
We had a WB Engineer come round to try & fix the boiler but said parts were no longer available & recommended that we upgrade to the 42Cdi - he said this model will allow use to run as many hot water devices as we wish without one area losing out over another.

After he left, the boiler started leaking again so another WB Engineer came round & he was strongly recommending the 29Cdi Classic (insisted that we choose the Classic version).

Both are highly trained WB Professionals who know their stuff but I am a bit confused as to which one to believe since they both recommended two very different models so am wondering if anyone here can really help me out on which from the WB range is really best for our home?

I was surprised that the 2nd Engineer strongly recommended a much smaller capacity model than the one we currently have as from what little I know, is that one has to either maintain the size you have to ensure good performance or go for as bigger/next model up to allow fro extra headroom so the boiler does not have to work as hard? I may be totally wrong on this as I am a novice hence coming here for advice.

The 1st Engineer may have recommended the 42CDi as he believed that would service the size of our home best & the 2nd one might have recommended the 29Cdi instead as it has been over 15 years since we have had our current boiler & advances in boiler technology in this time might mean that these days a smaller capacity boiler may well be able to do the same job as a bigger one from yester-year - I do not know but I do believe Engineers were being sincere with their advice.

Please can anyone recommend ANY Combi Boiler from the WB Range that would best suit our needs? I do not know how boiler size & capacity affects things like energy use & how it affects bills - I do not want a small boiler that takes longer to do things & hence uses more energy meaning more running & energy costs but am worried that the same might then also apply to getting a much bigger one - i.e. - it uses more energy than actually needed, hence higher costs etc?

Flow rate is important since we have two bathrooms - my kitchen tap delivers about 17L/min & the 29Cdi delivers about 11L/min & the 42Cdi 16L/min if that has any bearing?

Finally, I read somewhere that if one has two bathrooms and/or a bigger property, instead of a Combi Boiler, one should also consider a System Boiler? I have no idea what the latter is & not being technical, get somewhat bemused by all this so can anyone explain what they are & if they might be a better option for us?

Would really welcome & be exceptionally grateful for any help/advice on which WB Boiler is best for our home!

Many Kind Thanks,
Bazzy.

DSC04591.JPG DSC04594.JPG

Hi SimonG,

I will have to look into exactly what System Boiler & Unvented Cylinder is - how does it differ from a Combi Boiler may I ask? Is it all in one unit like a Combi or does it have lots of separate bits etc? Will there be lots of extra pipe work needed & will anything be have to be placed in the loft etc? It will be very difficult indeed for us to run new pipes etc from say the loft to elsewhere in the house.

What sort of water pressures & flow are required then for this option please?

May I ask why not a Worcester Bosch? I really know nothing about boilers but the reason the owner of the house wants to stick with WB is that when ever things have gone wrong with the current boiler, WB have been really great in getting it sorted - they can arrive usually within a day or so, usually always sort out the problems & their engineers have always acted very professionally regardless of who over all these years. It is this peace of mind that the owner really values with WB - they are round very quickly & always sort the problems out.

Do any other brands offer the same/similar? We usually have some sort of Boiler Servicing Contract.

Are there issues with WB that I must obviously be unaware of then that you good folks in the trade know about?

What brands & models would you recommend then for our home please?

Many Thanks,
Bazzy.

Last edited:
Combi boilers are not designed to run multiple outlets. A system boiler and invented would give you best results at multiple outlets. Service contracts are pointless in my humble opinion most decent manufacturers offer a decent warranty these days on the proviso that that an annual service is carried out. Employ a local independent engineer to fit it and maintain it for you. Worcester are not what they were. For my money Vaillant/Glowworm

Viessmann 222 at a min

How did you find your old boilers performance when running two bathrooms?

Hi gmartine,

I cannot say for certain with two bathrooms running but on the whole it was not too bad really - there were lots of times when someone would be having a shower & either the washing machine, Dishwasher and/or other hot water taps were in use at the same time & although there was a flow drop, it was just about acceptable for the short times the other hot water taps etc were on.

Hope that helps!
Bazzy.

Don’t do combi you’d be so much happier with unvented

Hi Riley,

Can you please kindly give me some suitable examples of this unvented system so I can have a look & learn from - I am totally clueless about these things & have no idea what to look for & what might be any good.

Many Thanks,
Bazzy.

It’s a boiler and hot water cylinder set up but at a good pressure and flow rate as long as incoming mains allows

Reply to Which Worcester Bosch Boiler For Our Home? Please Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
I need a little help if possible as I am trying to check that my current system is running efficiently but not really sure how to check, sorry if...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, just after a little advice please. I must be very fortunate, as I have a 28 year old Valiant VCW-GB242-EH Combi Boiler, which over the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock