Discuss White stuff floating in toilet tank? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I went to flush the toilet and nothing happened. I figured the chain had come detached from the lever arm, so I took the lid off of the tank and found all this white stuff floating in the tank water! And the lever arm failed because it appears to be corroded through and dropped the chain!

I checked the other toilet in the house and there's NO weirdness there, although I did observe the normal toilet appears to have a plastic arm while the weird toilet has a metal arm.

We got a water filtration system almost a year ago that includes a salt tank to act as a water softener. I'm paranoid that this may have contributed to this issues, but I'm pretty sure the salt is not supposed to come through to the water that comes into the house. (The tap water doesn't taste salty anyway!)

I've never seen anything like this. Any idea what is going on here, and why it's present in one toilet and not the other? Will try to include pictures of floating gunk, corroded lever, and normal toilet for comparison.
IMG_4319[1].JPG
IMG_4320[1].JPG
IMG_4321[1].JPG
IMG_4322[1].JPG

Is it rock hard, as in needs a hammer to break a lump into small pieces or does it crumble away between fingers? Also I am confused when you say Normal toilet and Weird toilet.

Hi RPM, Well, I'm ever the optimist :)

I just thought it might be worth excluding the possibility that whatever that is didn't come down the supply pipe. Not sure the modern Fluidmaster valve would cope with that level of whatever it is, so it seemed logical to wonder whether perhaps the dirt does not stem from the supply. Could even have been dropped in last time the place was decorated...?

But I think you already have a better hunch. I'm interested to see what the consensus ends up being on this thread. It's a headscratcher for me!

Also I am confused when you say Normal toilet and Weird toilet.
I think the weird toilet is the one with the white bits in the cistern.

Might just be corrosion products from that metal lever? Clean it out and see it returns...?
Perhaps so. I was just alarmed because we've been at the this house for about 6 years and never saw anything like that. But yes, we'll clean it out and see how things go!
[automerge]1592579516[/automerge]
Is it rock hard, as in needs a hammer to break a lump into small pieces or does it crumble away between fingers? Also I am confused when you say Normal toilet and Weird toilet.
The buildup on the flush lever seems pretty hard, but if I give it some force, it will start to crumble. The bits floating on the water are flat and seem softer/squishy.

And sorry, the "weird" toilet is the one with the white stuff floating in the cistern, the "normal" toilet is that other toilet in the house that doesn't have any of these issues.

Hi Ric, I couldn`t click the like, agree, funny or winner so clicked optimistic for the clean it out and see if it returns bit.

Those flapper dump valves are brilliant, so little to go wrong and will cope in an old 9L cistern. In time the flap can distort and let water bye but a new flap is £6 so unhook the chain, disconnect the hinges and replace in under 5 minutes, what`s not to like about that kind of job. Totally agree about it being a headscratcher and could be something simple like the decorator as you say but then it could also be something really stupid such as a bag of crack was hidden in there or the house used to be 2 cottages and a wall was knocked through (2 different water supplies, one mains and one from a well?)

Anyway it is in the US and I`m not clued up on some of their stuff to really comment but I am interested in a post that isn`t to do with pan connecters, leaky taps, fill valves or size and run of pipes to drains etc.

Thinking on a little more the arm shouldn`t be under water anyway.

Thinking on a little more the arm shouldn`t be under water anyway.

Hmm... I think you're on to something there. I had not given it much thought, but I suppose the flusher had been loose for awhile. And yes, the corrosion on the arm indicates that about 3 or 4 inches has been underwater for some time. When I tightened the flusher, the arm does rest in a much higher position than before. So perhaps that is all: it was a metal lever that was just underwater for too long and corroded to the point of failure. And perhaps the white bits floating are just a consequence of that corrosion? I hope that is all it is, and not that there are harsh chemicals in the water that will eat away at the rest of the plumbing in the house!

At any rate, I did get some replacement parts (plastic this time), so hopefully it will not be an ongoing issue!

Hmm... I think you're on to something there. I had not given it much thought, but I suppose the flusher had been loose for awhile. And yes, the corrosion on the arm indicates that about 3 or 4 inches has been underwater for some time. When I tightened the flusher, the arm does rest in a much higher position than before. So perhaps that is all: it was a metal lever that was just underwater for too long and corroded to the point of failure. And perhaps the white bits floating are just a consequence of that corrosion? I hope that is all it is, and not that there are harsh chemicals in the water that will eat away at the rest of the plumbing in the house!

At any rate, I did get some replacement parts (plastic this time), so hopefully it will not be an ongoing issue!
The time delay with your posts being cleared first makes this thread disjointed however it was Ric`s post that got me thinking.

Reply to White stuff floating in toilet tank? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve recently cleaned my central heating system with Sentinel X400 cleaner, flushed it out clear, refilled & added Sentinel X100 inhibitor. After...
Replies
Views
Help! I’ve turned off the gate valve that supplies my toilet white goods. Now it won’t open. It’s turning but water not flowing through. I need to...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom...
Replies
Views
After flushing, there is only a trickle of water entering the tank. When I turn the valve off, and then on again, it flows normally again. The...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock