Discuss Who is Responsible for their safety in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ibadan696

:)I have a slight problem here and everyones comment will be highly appreciated.

A family member's combi boiler broke down recently, and his landlord had been a bit grumpy about it. As a result of trying to get the cheapest deal, the landlord had opted to employ this so called heating enginneer to replace the boiler.

Boiler was replaced, but operative couldn't get new boiler working, said something about the "fan wasn't running and will have to phone the manufacturer and get someone sent from there to fix the problem as there was a 1Yr warranty on boiler".

My family member said when he ask the Engineer for his registration Docs, he just said he was registered and has a company card but never showed it to him.

My question here is, as to the reponsibilty of the tenant (just had a new baby and worried about their safety), if he has the right to stop work, until registration has been confirmed by Engineer or landlord or, if it is just the lanlord's reponsiblity to comfirm registration since he employed the so called engineer, or whatever legal obligation he has towards his tennant.:confused:

The boiler has been replaced? so what work can the tennant put a stop to? perhaps the fan really isnt running properly? the manufacturers will come out and fix it..... job done.
The engineer should know his gas safe reg no off the top of his head, ask him for it, then use the gas safe website to see if its genuine/belongs to him.

Thanx Blackcatgas.
to my understandung the boiler didn't even work at all, , and if the engineer is unable to confirm Corgi registration or competence, is it unlawful to carry out work, can tennant put a stop to it until a competent and corgi reg engineer say it is safe to put it in service. Remember we have a landlord who is probably trying to cut corners.

Thanx Blackcatgas.
to my understandung the boiler didn't even work at all, , and if the engineer is unable to confirm Corgi registration or competence, is it unlawful to carry out work, can tennant put a stop to it until a competent and corgi reg engineer say it is safe to put it in service. Remember we have a landlord who is probably trying to cut corners.

I dont always carry my card, but in a sad way Iam proud to tell people my gas safe reg no, a bit like showing off my Tony the tiger 25m swimming badge, he should have no problem with telling you it, if hes not GSR and it was a house I was renting then I wouldnt be happy, if it turns out to be Dave from the pub fitting the boiler then id look into moving.

Would have thought if the plumber is getting the manufacturers out,all is well,as they will ask installer reg no and will be checking boiler installation

You are tenants any thing you wish to know,will have to come via landlord,although can not think why installer will not tell you,the landlord has had a new boiler fitted for you relative,there are problems,these are being sorted
what has the plumber done to upset you or think he is not reg

If boiler fan is faulty blame the manufacturer,do'nt take it out on the installer

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Tennant said he caught out the engineer trying to leave without telling him, and had to run after him, down the street, and when confronted, did he explain about manufacturer visiting, that is what raised the suspicion more.

I'm glad you pointed out what checks manufacturers will make before they come and fix the problem, all I can advise my uncle is to be patient.

But from what he has told me so far, the engineer took the Installation manual with him aswell, I thought he may want to familiarise himself with the boiler, and may come back saying he has been advised on what to do now, without the manufacturer showing up.
Please dont get me wrong, we are not after the Engineer in anyway but the landlord who has been very unplesant.

Lets Just assume this is the case about the GRS and it also happens the engineer didn't even turn up and the landlord decides to get somebody else, what moral or legal rights has the tennant and the landlord so that no one is impeding in others affairs.

ok fairly obvious to most
landlord has not used a registered gas engineer
boiler is prob second hand
manufacturer prob wont warranty as not installed by gas engineer and highly unlikely it was flushed as per mi
if a fault with boiler insurance for house void due not rgi
a responsible engineer would have called the manufacturer there and then and arrange for visit
benchmark certificate obv not filled out either
typical cut corner landlord taking a chance with peoples lives for the sake of profit

Any registered engineer would be more than happy to show proof of registration - after all they pay good money for the privelege and its a fact they all advertise. If he was being evasive it probably means he's an unregistered cowboy. I would insist to see proof of registration.

He should have the logo on his Van as he has payed money to be GSR and will want to show it off. Its not really you or your uncles responsibilty to check as its not yuor property but if you are suspicious you can ask for his details if its refused then ring Gas Safe up and report it as its an illegal and potentially dangerous install

He should have the logo on his Van as he has payed money to be GSR and will want to show it off. Its not really you or your uncles responsibilty to check as its not yuor property but if you are suspicious you can ask for his details if its refused then ring Gas Safe up and report it as its an illegal and potentially dangerous install

i would say good on him for checking tbh....

phone landlord and ask if plumber is gas safe registered simples.
If he says he says he is just say a friend of the family had a close shave with a non registered install and the family is paranoid so if the engineer can bring his gas safe card next time and also can you get a new cp12 to confirm that everything is now safe after the new install.

say that to the landlord and you'll soon know if your engineer was registered, it will either be done properly with a certificate or there will be excuses.

If excuses then just explain that gas and ventilation worrys are a factor in you wanting it done and signed off properly if it isnt then you will report to relevant bodies. ezplain your not being awkward just you are paying rent and expect the house to be in safe order and signed off as so.

good luck

if the rgi has fitted a boiler the benchmark paperwork should be left with the tenant along with the manuals. gas safe no should be on the benchmark paperwork, any worries call gas safe and ask them to do an inspection as everyone is entittled to do ,any problems they can then take on the case, all ok then everyones happy and feels good. Cannt see any issues here, any customer who raises an issue with me cos of their lack of knowledge, that leaves them worried and thats wot i advice them to do. Dont know if gas safe have visited after i have finished a couple of jobs for difficult custards, but Ive not been chased up after a customer kicked off because they know a plumber who says etc etc. omho

Thank you all for your valued help. I thought I should give you the lastest developement as follows.

Firstly, My uncle tells me landlord hasn't got in touch with him and always avoiding his call, and I advised him to get in touch with the gas engineer, who said an appointment had been booked for today with manufacturer's technical support team, saying the landlord had actually booked it himself and not him.

Secondly the Manufacturer did send out an engineer today, and he condemed the Installation, saying it was unsafe, because there was an Installation defect with the flue pipe not sealed in wall. A warning notice was issued, and a yellow sticker stuck on boiler.

Landlord was contacted about this, he wants to send back original Installer with his dad, to sort it out.

No Certificate or paper work was initially left behind by Installer which manufacturer's engineer did ask for. Landlord nor Installer will not confirm registration.
and now he has to come back, or possible put people lives at risk.

Report it. Nothing is worth risking peoples lives for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who is Responsible for their safety in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock