Search the forum,

Discuss Why does my bathroom smell like sewage? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

We’ve got a bathroom in a 3 year old loft conversion. Pretty much the first time warmer weather rolled around a few months after it was done, I started to notice a bad smell in there – somewhat sewage-like, but different from ‘recently used toilet’ smell. This cycle has repeated each year: cold weather fine, warm weather smelly.

I was always pretty sure that while the smell was coming from ‘the toilet corner’ that it wasn’t coming from the toilet itself. The smell is more noticeable slightly off to the side than directly over it.

Eventually I got down on my knees and followed my nose to small gaps that exist between the base of the toilet and the wall.

Could anyone please advise on the likely cause and what we will need to do to fix it?

(Photos below – including view of ‘toilet corner’ from the outside).

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg
IMG_3538.jpg

As above. If the toilet is mounted on a stud wall you might expect to find in the void behind an Air Admittance Valve installed in a vertical extension of the soil pipe around cistern height. They don't often fail but if hasn't been fitted properly, or is missing, you would have this problem.

Do you have an open vented soil stack elsewhere on the house? I wondered if it has been closed off at some stage?
AAV's are all very well to allow air in to follow a flush, but they don't let positive pressure in the drain system out. As I understand it, Building Regs require an open vent on the foul drains somewhere, even if on an adjacent house, which may be adequate.
We had a house with a severe attack of the problem you have, due to a sewage pumping station nearby periodically putting a positive pressure on the drainage system. The only venting we had was an AAV in a stud wall, which turned out to be defective. Once replaced with an external vent to atmosphere, problem solved.

Alternatively you might have a faulty pipe connection. I agree that would most likely result in a visible leak. Pressure testing could perhaps check that situation?

Reply to Why does my bathroom smell like sewage? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock